According to https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/markdown-syntax-guide-776639995.html#Markdownsyntaxguide-Codeblocks it should be possible to insert tables via Markdown syntax. The example is exactly this:
| Day | Meal | Price | | --------|---------|-------| | Monday | pasta | $6 | | Tuesday | chicken | $8 |
However, when pasting exactly that code into Confluence (via the “Insert Markup” macro), what I get is definitely not a table, but rather arbitrarily formatted text.
Am I missing something or is that feature “only” broken?
Hi Carsten,
you're right. This table markdown is not working. It works (more or less), if you change the markup type to "Confluence Wiki".
Regards,
Thomas
Thanks for your feedback. I noticed that and actually, I’m using that at the moment, but I hoped to be able to use a more familiar format.
Shouldn't this be fixed? I am using confluence and using the Confluence Wiki fixes the table, but the rest of the markdown does not work.
Is this being looked at? I am trying to transfer some API docs to confluence and need the tables.
I'm facing the same issue as well.
Confluence is killing me. There are exactly ZERO intuitive ways to paste columnar data into HTML tables on the cloud version (because HTML macro not available). This is a CORE feature for content writers. How can they be messing this up so bad?
Me too.
Markdown tables still not rendering on Confluence Cloud as of April 3, 2018.
I just tried it today in Confluence 1000.0.0-bb4822b3c2b. Pasting once for Markdown and re-pasting each table as Wiki works but is a real pain. Bad enough you cannot use just plain Markdown for native editing.
Just ran into this issue as well. Changing the markup type to Confluence Wiki does work, more or less, but then it will break any other Markdown that you're trying to add at the same time. One fewer hoop to jump through would be great!
Yeah, we really need native support for Markdown in Confluence.
Please add markdown table support
**It's still not working!!!**
Was able to use html <table> tags to work with tables in confluence markdown page
This is impacting my work as well. C'mon Atlassian
Same here. I'm on version 6.11.0
OK. To anyone evaluating Confluence for mass content creation:
Atlassian has gotten too far over it's skis. There may be a future where they comment on important features customers are asking. There is hope in that they abandoned HipChat. Hopefully some of the staff that doesn't leave can be repurposed for customer interaction on requested features, including at least the communication of a roadmap within a one year timeline of important issues being raised.
Until you see a regular cadence of communication in this community, please including a low community strength score during your product evaluations.
Sean
Yeah, plain text editing without the auto-formatting "feature" is a must. And that's true for Jira too. C'mon, let us developers code instead of fighting with text formatting...
Trying to work with the Confluence Wiki markup, the formatting of background colours seems to be all over the shop. When setting the colour, it will take UNLESS you actually put text into the "Cell". As soon as you put a header or text in there, the background colour reverts to default.Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I'm getting completely exasperated at trying to find a comprehensive example of formatting backgrounds/cell colours using markup language rather than having to manually edit it!I have an excel spreadsheet (no booing at the back there! which has one cell into which I've carefully crafted the markup required to insert a table-plus table and info boxes in the appropriate cells. However, a simple thing like trying to make a cell change colour seems to be eluding me, I've read so many web pages on what to do, but the majority of these all point to having to manually edit the cells once the table has been inserted.Is there any chance of someone here giving me an "aha!" moment......pleeeeeease!!
Because they mess up so many things, in so many ways. Their code is one big pile of technical debt.
You can create a 1x1 table and paste from Exel. Not ideal, but it beats retyping things.
Not even remotely acceptable, primarily because such an obvious feature (ability to paste in markdown) was not even considered.
Atlassian, are you listening? Are you getting the sense that your community needs you to get on this STAT?
What really upsets me about this is that pasting have the exact same user outcome as typing. If I can type a table, I should be able to paste a table, Preferably with just a CTRL-V and without opening additional windows.
I know you're aware of markup, since your system is built in it. So, why is it *SO FRICTIONAL* to get a table in markdown format from my clipboard to a confluence page?
The below should already be seen as a nicely formatted table. It's not.
| | mpg| cyl| disp||:-----------------|----:|---:|----:||Mazda RX4 | 21.0| 6| 160||Mazda RX4 Wag | 21.0| 6| 160||Datsun 710 | 22.8| 4| 108||Hornet 4 Drive | 21.4| 6| 258||Hornet Sportabout | 18.7| 8| 360||Valiant | 18.1| 6| 225|
Yes I agree, it's ridiculous that it's not a feature especially given Atlassian's focus on developers and their frequent need for displaying tables in documentation.
I'm just providing a workaround if somebody comes looking for an answer.
Bump. Same issue, markdown tables are a big deal. Please fix this!
I wanted a table in a README.md file in Bitbucket and ended up with a mess (no formatting, just 1 long line of all the table syntax).
I found: MarkdownDemo
I thought that helped, but now I'm not so sure; not that the page isn't useful, but it didn't indicate what was needed to fix the table display.
What did work was once I put a blank line before the table definition.
I too found the blank line to be key.
Here is my flow:
Go to Markdown Tables Generator, a great site for producing tables in markdown. From File menu choose "Paste table data...". Paste your CSV or tabular data. Scroll a bit and click "Copy to clipboard". Back in Confluence, launch the Markdown macro and *make sure* it says Confluence Wiki (don't ask). Paste the table.
Bump again.Please add markdown table support.
*Bump* again.Fail!
I guess this company doesn't listen to all the frustration and requests to have markdown support work for all aspects including tables.
It's such a shame that even after two years Confluence team has not even looked at this thread. Markdown is probably the most poular documentation syntax that developers use every day and it is probably the most supported across technologies. Almost every IDE that I know supports it either out of the box or through an extension. Githup and many other online tools support it. But, we don't even get a basic support in Confluence. It's very easy to do guys! just look at how many libraries are out there!
shame
Bump!
-- NORMAL --
It would be nice if this could actually be fixed. Importing markdown into Confluence just looks like text soup with lots of tables.
Bump! Please how hard it is to support tables??????
So, my table started working after I made sure there are lines above and below the table, two spaces at the end of each line.
@pmunsey suggestion of putting a blank line immediately before the table definition markdown appears to be a requirement. I'm not using Confluence, but BitBucket Server.
Thanks @pmunsey I would not have figured that out for a while - so counterintuitive - and how careless that the documentation doesn't state this huge rake they left there for users to step on..
When I copy and pasted my table markdown into a vi like editor, I could see that there were null lines between my item lines. I removed these, pasted back into Confluence and my table was created. The issue appears to be how Confluence treats carriage returns.
What are null lines?
Just retested with Confluence 6.15.9 and copied a Markdown example from UltraEdit as Markup inserted with "Markdown" (not Confluence wiki) with LF and CR/LF (ISO-8859-1) and both resulted in one long line (header, data, column separaters).
Í can't follow you how it should work.
So I type this into Confluence:
| Column 1 | Column 2 || -----------| ----------- || Row 1,1 | Row 2,1 |
And I get exactly that displayed.
Copy and paste into a vi editor and show special characters and I get this:
| Column 1 | Column 2 |$$| -----------| ----------- |$$| Row 1,1 | Row 2,1 |$
The $ is line termination, as you can see I have null lines between my markdown. Remove these lines, paste back into Confluence and I get my table.
I can confirm this works for me.
Just make sure there is one empty line above and below where you paste your table and each row has at least 2 spaces at the end.
I'm sorry, but when I
1) create a page
2) Select insert markup and choose "Markdown"
3) Type the text (your from above) into the left window:
| Column1 | Column2 || ------- | ------- || Row1 | Row2 |
then the right preview windows shows this
| Column1 | Column2 | | ------- | ------- | | Row1 | Row2 |
4) Select insert markup but choose "Confluence wiki"
5) Type in the same text
and the preview shows a nice confluence table.
From "Markdown" it doesn't work - and this should be done by Atlassian!
Yes, the Markdown Macro is broken again I need it now, and it is still not working today. Also, it isn't very wiki (quick for adding formatted content) to have to use a menu to add a macro to understand Markdown. Being forced to use Markdown at all is because you can't handle pasted tables from other sources.Is anyone at Confluence listening?
Confirming this works.
It works in Jira Cloud at least for now 24 Oct 2023
Thank you for sharing!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.