Using confluence for video content storage

Hi all!

We want to transform our confluence instance in something like youtube or vimeo.

Is there any plugins to achieve this ?

Our may be another Atlassian product?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

Could you clarify the first sentence? "transform our confluence instance in something like" is not a clear description. For example:

Are you trying to embed videos as though they were youtube pages?

Or show existing remote videos in Confluence pages?

Or browse Confluence in youtube? (That's the closest to what you've written, but I can't imagine why you'd want this!)

I will try to clarify.

In our company we have some video content to share between employees. Also we have Confluence. And we want to use Confluence for video content storage and delivery between employees.

I mentioned youtube and vimeo because they have all features we want.

But we cannot use it because our company IT policy denies cloud storage

Ah, ok, so you want to put videos in Confluence pages. Perfectly possible, although with three caveats

1. Confluence is about wiki pages. It lets you attach files and then reference them, display them as part of your pages. But it doesn't have a simple interface for this - it's not expecting to be used like youtube where you just upload and suddenly have a page. Your editors will need to craft each page with a video on it (you can make this easier with templates, but it's still a case of "attach file, put filename in display macro, add text to go with it"). You might need to think about security and who can edit pages as well.
  2. You may need to install some stuff in Confluence to enable playback of videos in-situ
  3. Confluence doesn't expect large files to be attached, and it has a standard limit on attachment size which is much lower than the size of any videos. You could increase that, but there may be problems with uploads of large files, because it's simply not designed for file storage. Note - you could also host the large files on a simple file server and point Confluence at them with slightly different macros - that would solve the "large file" problem

hi  You says that - you could also host the large files on a simple file server and point Confluence at them with slightly different macros - that would solve the "large file" problem . could you explain in detail please ? Which macro should i use ? i have a huge number of video that represents smore than 2 To space. How to store this in a different server and still have preview of the video in Confluence ?

Hi Alexy,

Just complementing what Nic said, for Youtube/Vimeo/Google Video. I would suggest to you to use Multmedia Macro that's inside of Confluence.

Cheers,

WZ

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

478 views 19 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you