Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Jira macro in Confluence returns error - some users

Dave_Harrington January 14, 2016

We use the JIRA macro to display a table of specific issues.  It has worked fine for over two years - this past weekend it began displaying an error to all users that don't have a JIRA login.  Prior to that, the table displayed fine, and any of those users that clicked on a link in the table were presented with a login screen.  To the best of my knowledge nothing has been changed in our Confluence or JIRA configurations.  The error message being displayed is:

JIRA Issues Macro: Problem authenticating.  Please check your username and password and try again.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
Dave_Harrington January 20, 2016

Unfortunately, the reboot didn't resolve the issue - so we're back to square one...  Well, maybe square TWO since we have tied this to a specific user account.  We have a workaround, but are still trying to determine the root cause...  

Any further suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

Soley Gudmundsdottir January 5, 2018

Hi Dave. Did you ever find the problem? We are having similar issues and would love an insight into this.

Dave_Harrington January 5, 2018

No - never got to the root cause.  We used our workaround for the corrupted user account.

Soley Gudmundsdottir January 5, 2018

Ok. Thanks anyway :) I think we might have to do that as well...

0 votes
Dave_Harrington January 16, 2016

While we don't have a resolution yet, it appears this is related to corrupted (for lack of a better word) user accounts.  By creating a new user with identical groups and permissions, the macro is visible.  We are now waiting for our data center to schedule a restart of the Confluence and JIRA instances - and reboot of the server - to see if that might release any cache or something that may be causing the issue.  

Thanks to those that suggested things to review.

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2016

Hi Dave,

Can you try to disable the Trusted application authentication type and use only the OAuth type? This error seems to be related to the permission at first glance. The OAuth application link is the most recommended between Confluence and JIRA being very reliable.

Let me know if that helps!

Regards,

Rodrigo

We don't have Trusted Applications configured.

Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2016

Thanks for this information Dave! Is the error appearing in logs different when the user attempt to see the page with JIRA issues? May I know if you are behind some proxy or firewall between both apps? Are you able to by pass them and connect Confluence and JIRA directly for testing purposes? Do you happen to know if some change was performed recently in the network environment?

I'll have to work with someone on our end to get the logs. Once I have more info on that, I'll provide it here. Confluence and Jira are both on the same server - no proxy or firewal between them. Most users can see the macro's resulting table of Jira issues on the Confluence page - it is only those users that don't have Jira logins that can't. Although, like I said earlier, they have always been able to. I don't beleive any network environment changes have been made, but we'll continue to investigate that.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2016

Is your project shared to "Anyone" so that its issues can be seen even for those without a JIRA Account?

Well... Under the project administration page there is a link to "Issue Security", which says "Anyone". I'm not sure if that answers your questions.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2016

Can you double check your Application Links if its still working? If you are using Trusted Application links, the account that you use to communicate between JIRA/Confluence might have changed or not working anymore. Check that part.

We are using 1-way OAuth and don't use impersonation... for both Outgoing and Incoming authentication. In Application Links they both say "Configured". Incoming has the following detail: "Jira" (JIRA) is currently registered as a consumer and can make requests into "AuditPoint Wiki" (Confluence) using OAuth. Outgoing the following: "portal" (Confluence) is currently configured to make requests into "T3 Worldwide, LLC" (JIRA) using OAuth.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2016

Try reconfiguring them again, just for kicks and giggles.

Reconfigured and updated. No change.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events