Using Confluence as a Knowledgebase for both internal staff and clients. How do I set restrictions?

cole_evans August 22, 2018

I am using Confluence as a knowledge base for my software project and we have broken down the documentation for our software page-by-page which includes information that is invaluable to let a client see (it acts similar to a "user manual") especially when they use Jira Service Desk and get pages suggested for them to read.  However it is also imperative that the developers have access to this information as it allows them to get a much better vantage point of the system before working on a ticket, without needing to delve into the code in grotesque detail and waste time getting up to speed with the business rules and intricacies of the software unit through their own efforts.

EG: I am having an issue with the login screen, where can I get more information on how this works? What are the business rules associated with this particular field or configuration? Etc.

That being said, there are also documents and parts of those user pages that are dramatically inappropriate for a client to see and should be kept internal-only. These include API request information as an example, or GIT branching strategies documented down for developers to access. Or developer onboarding. Within the "page-by-page" documentation there may be small developer notes such as database tables and columns associated to the page / feature. 

The thought has crossed my mind to create two completely separate spaces for these documents and copy-paste them and prune them for clients to see. The problem is, when a developer goes into the system to make a ticket updating the functionality and business rules of a page, this is going to impact the documentation for both the developer and the clients. This will not scale nicely and will quickly become a burden as our team grows in size. Documents will lose data, there will be inconsistencies, I just cannot see this being a good way to move forward in the slightest.

So I am hoping someone can explain how I can tackle this problem in the most efficient and methodological way possible. I am fairly new to Jira service desk and confluence setup but have been a large fan of the Atlassian suite of products for years now.

Bless.

1 answer

0 votes
cole_evans August 22, 2018

It seems that just editing the restrictions of the parent pages and letting it propagate through works! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events