Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login to Confluence after migrating it to a different server

jing wang September 23, 2019

Hi all, I have migrated the JIRASoftware and Confluence from one server to another server, after the migration, I can no longer log into to Confluence but my jira login still works, I googled online and found a solution below, but it did not work for me.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Cannot-log-into-Confluence-after-moving-servers/qaq-p/84901

I also tried to use forgot password method, it sent me the URL which does not work for me at all.

Any help?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

hello @jing wang 

if your confluence was linked to an LDAP kind of system, it is normal.

You should try to use the recovery admin:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-158390.html 

This should work

jing wang September 24, 2019

hi @robert Mugabuhamye , I'm not using an LDAP kind of system.

I also tried the recovery admin method, it does not work for me.

In my case, I can log back in to JIRA with no issue, but login to Confluence, it returned me incorrect password, I tried the forgot passage, with the link, I can open it only from the local host (as the url is http://localhost:8090/xxxxx instead of http://{hostname}:8090/xxxx. ), after I entered the new password. I got following error page returned.  Do you have any other clues what I should do to fix this issue?  Thank you!

Oops - an error has occurred

logoSystem Error

A system error has occurred — our apologies!

For immediate troubleshooting, consult our knowledge base for a solution.

If you would like to receive support from Atlassian's support team, ask your Confluence administrator to create a support issue on Atlassian's support system with the following information:

1. a description of your problem and what you were doing at the time it occurred
  2. a copy of the error and system information found below
  3. a copy of the application logs (if possible).

Your Confluence administrator can use the support request form to create a support ticket which will include this information.

We will respond as promptly as possible.
Thank you!

Return to site homepage…

robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

hello @jing wang .

what do you mean by the recovery does not work? it is supposed to work and there should be no reason why.
are you on a Linux system? windows? on windows, do you start your confluence as a service? with the .bat. ? 
This will help narrow down how to configure your recovery admin.

I"m on a Windows server, my confluence is configured as a service. I followed the restore password document, I used cmd prompt to run the .bat file to start confluence service, when I tried to use recovery_admin user to login, I was not able to login. I still got the "Please re-enter your login details and type in the word below." message, am i missing anything? btw, my confluence version is 6.7.1. @robert Mugabuhamye 

robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

@jing wang if you confluence is starting as a service, you have to set your recovery password in the JVM start-up arguments. 

On this link, you can follow the section "windows service" and set the params for confluence: 

-Datlassian.recovery.password=<your-password>

restart confluence by restarting the service and you should be good to go

@robert Mugabuhamye  thank you so much for your help! I was able to login using the recovery_admin account and updated the base URL from {localhost} to {hostname}. Is there anything else I need to update? as after that, I tried to my user credential to login, I still got the "Please re-enter your login details and type in the word below" and the reset password still took me to the "Opps - an error has occurred" page.

Oops - an error has occurred

logoSystem Error

hi @robert Mugabuhamye , I logged in as recovery_admin and used this account to reset my user password, the reset was not successfully, it gave me the following error, any insight what else should be corrected?

The following error(s) occurred:

• Failed to change user password. Check your server logs for more information.
robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

@jing wang My guess is your users are not managed in confluence but in Jira, that is why you can't set your password in confluence.

You can go in both "application links" sections of jira and confluence.

you should see the link that is configure for jira/confluence.
delete it in both apps and recreate it. you should be good 

@robert MugabuhamyeI deleted the application link "application links" from both jira and conflurence and re-created it, but I still can't login as my user account. my account was admin on both servers, I can only login to jira but not the confluence.

Should I restart the confluence service while I still have my recovery_admin account active?

robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

you should check in confluence: "users directory" the state of "Remote Jira Directory".
try to sync it, if it doens't work edit its params. Mainly application name/application password. 

application name and password should be set in your Jira instance: user management -> Jira server
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/allowing-connections-to-jira-for-user-management-938847045.html

hi @robert Mugabuhamye , I followed the doucment and synced the "users directory", but still can't login via my user account. I also updated the IP address for jira user server, it was old one before.

Hi @robert Mugabuhamye I found that my user name is in confluence admin and user group but it's not in a member of confluence admin group on JIRA, after I added myself, I'm able to login to Confluence now, thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

@jing wang 
glad that it worked.

I would recommend to creates a local admin that is in confluence local user directory before the next migration. before you do your data exports ;)

hi @robert Mugabuhamye i have a side question, for some reason, I can see the spaces that were migrated to the new server from spaces drop down menu, however, when I click on All spaces, I do not see any spaces from space directory, do you have any idea why? Should I submit a new question for this?

never mind, I need to rebuild content indexing :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events