Cannot log into Confluence after moving servers

Michael Long May 6, 2013

I just moved our Confluence setup from one server to another the big item to note is the new server is in a new private network. The set up was using Jira to serve the usernames/passwords for logins, so Confluence was configured to point to the Jira server on the same network.
When I moved Confluence, I dumped everything to a backup on the old server, and then just restored from that file on the new server.
Nobody can login though because the old server was pointed at a Jira instance that the new server can't get to.

How can I change the Jira server that Confluence points to for its usernames and passwords if I can't get logged into Confluence in the first place? I'm assuming this has to be database driven somewhere so which table/value should I change?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Long May 6, 2013

Ok! That was actually not the solution because what I originally asked about was not the strictly the problem.

For the record if you have access to the database you can change the URL used by Confluence to find any of its "directory"s for me I only had one so that was simply:

UPDATE `confluence`.`cwd_directory_attribute`
SET attribute_value='new jira URL' 
WHERE `attribute_name`='crowd.server.url';

That actually fixed the Confluence side. I just didn't know it yet because....

The missing piece was that apparently when you change servers, generally the server's IP address changes. Who knew right? Well it turns out that Jira restricts the IP addresses that are allowed to connect to its user server. Adding in the new IP address into JIRA along with making the change above, got me all set up and working.

2 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

Hi Michael

You may refer on this documentation on Restoring Passwords to Recover Admin User Rights

Hopefully it helps!

Cheers :)

darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

Yes exactly. This is because currently, confluence does not recognize the path to JIRA since you already migrated to a new server. Therefore, you will need to retrieve the Admin password and reconfigure confluence to point to the correct path to JIRA and set the correct directory order in confluence.

Michael Long May 6, 2013

So you're saying I have to change the password for the local account 'admin' in the database, login as that then use the administration pages to make the necessary changes to point my 'new' Confluence at the 'new' Jira instance?

Michael Long May 6, 2013

Thank you. This helped even if it wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for because my question wasn't the right one to be asking.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events