Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to insert JIRA Chart macro or other macros; can insert JIRA Issue/Filter macro

Bryan Quandt March 19, 2020

Summary: I am unable to insert JIRA Chart macros or other macros into a space. I am however able to insert the JIRA Issue/Filter macro, and generate spaces with Jirachart macros automatically created. I'm using Confluence Cloud (and JIRA Cloud). This is the first time I've used Confluence and I haven't successfully created any JIRA Charts in any spaces before.

Repro steps:

1. Create a space from a template, by clicking on the Create button from the Confluence home page, then selecting the JIRA Report template. (Note: this issue also occurs when selecting the Blank template; I haven't tried any other templates).
  2. For Select report type, choose Status report.
  3. Select a project ('Web') and give the space a name.
  4. The space is created, with Jirachart macros pre-populated. (Note: these macros display correct information about information in my organization's JIRA environment, and can be edited to display other such correct information).
  5. Successfully create a JIRA Issue/Filter macro. To do this, click on the place in the space you want to add the macro to, go to the Insert button, select the JIRA option, and from there enter in a JQL query (i.e.: project = 'WEB'). Click the Search button, and results appear. Click the Insert button, and these results display in the space.
  6. Attempt to add a JIRA Chart macro. To do this, click on the place in the space you want to add the macro to, click Insert, select the JIRA option, select JIRA Chart from the modal (the default chart type is Pie), enter in the same JQL query (project = 'WEB'). Click Preview, and a pie chart appears. Click on Insert)
    1. Expected result: the pie chart appears in the space.
    2. Actual result: nothing appears in the space that wasn't there after step 5 here.
  7. Attempt to add another macro to the space. To do this, click on the place in the space you want to add it to, click Insert, then go to View more at the bottom. From the modal that appears, select a modal. Once the macro is selected, click on Preview.
    1. Expected result: a graph is generated in the preview button
    2. Actual results
      1. For some macros (i.e. Average Age Chart), a blank white rectangle appears in the Preview area.
        1. When you click Insert, a blank white rectangle appears in the space.
      2. For some macros (i.e. Average Number of Times in Status), a gray rectangle with a file-can't-be-shown icon shows up. When you hover over the gray rectangle, an error message (below) appears.
        1. When you click insert, the gray rectangle appears in the space.

Error message: from step 7.2.2.:

Screenshot: showing the template with successfully loaded Jirachart macros, the successfully loaded JIRA Issue/Filter macro, and the failed other macros.

screencapture-unearth-atlassian-net-wiki-spaces-UNEARTH-pages-edit-v2-2229262-2020-03-19-20_21_57.png

Additional information: 

• Apps involved
    • Confluence Cloud
    • JIRA Cloud
  • Browser: Google Chrome
  • Device: PC

Thank you for the help!

2 answers

0 votes
Bryan Quandt March 20, 2020

I'm now able to accomplish what I was trying to do in step 6 (add a Jirachart). I followed the workaround in another post (see below for link): "Instead of selecting the Jira Charts macro from the Jira issues macro menu, directly select the Jira Charts macro from the macro browser by selecting the View More option on the insert/+ dropdown." That's what I was doing before, but now it's working.

I am still, however, unable to add other macros to my space; the same issues are occurring as those I listed in step 7.

Here's the post link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Using-Confluence-Coud-attempting-to-insert-a-Jira-Report-Pie/qaq-p/1186671

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2020

Hi @Bryan Quandt ,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. I tested what you described and could not reproduce the problem at step #5.

See image below:

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 10.50.50.png

As this pertains to JIRA Cloud and we cannot exactly access or troubleshoot it, I would recommend raising a ticket with Atlassian support so they could work with you on finding a resolution.

Cheers.

Ismael.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2020

Also, I suggest removing the link with the error message as users can then attempt to access your server since they have the base URL.

It is fine to provide this with Atlassian directly as for hear, you can change the base url to something like:

https://<your url>.atlassian.net

Do not put the actual URL but just the above placeholder.

Cheers.

Bryan Quandt March 20, 2020

Thank you, @Ismael Jimoh .  I've made that change you've requested to the URL and submitted this directly to Atlassian support.

There is no issue at step 5, but there are issues at steps 6 and 7. Were you able to repro the issues in steps 6 and 7?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events