Unable to edit content due to licensing issue.

Bryce Rogers September 27, 2018

We are unable to edit content in our Wiki content in Atlassian Confluence 6.5.1.  This is an on premise installation.  It says to resolve, I need to remove or disable an active user but when I go to the Users page, there is NOT a button to remove or disable.  Please assist. 

Here is what is said:

This Confluence installation is not licensed for additional users

You have exceeded the maximum number of users for your license. You will still be able to view content, but in order to create or edit content, you must reduce the number of active users in the installation.

There are two ways to reduce the number of active users:

• Disable users
  • Delete users

To disable or delete a user, visit the Users page then search for their name. After following the appropriate link you can choose the 'Remove' or 'Disable' option.

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2018

Hi Bryce,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

In order to see the delete or disable button you have to have Administrator permission.

As I stated before I do not see Set Password Delete Disable. 

I only see View Profile Edit Groups Edit Details.  

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2018

If you click on Edit Groups, are you able to remove the user from a group? By default confluence-users is the group that gives you permission to log on to Confluence.

I do have the option to remove a user from the confluence-users group but when I click to remove it says 

The following error(s) occurred:

• Could not remove user 'doug' as a member of group 'confluence-users'. Check your server logs for more information.

How do I check server logs?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2018

You can find your log file under <confluence-home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log. For example: c:/confluence/data/logs/atlassian-confluence.log.

Are you using an external user directory or the internal user directory?

I do not see where I can upload a file.  This is the latest log with me logged in as Admin and it says it is a permission issue.  I don't understand.  Maybe you can help.  Sorry for the issues, someone else set this up and I am just trying to be able to edit it again.

2018-09-27 16:22:57,562 ERROR [http-nio-80-exec-4] [bucket.user.DefaultUserAccessor] removeMembership Failed to remove 'dcameron' as a member of 'confluence-users'
-- referer: http://jdpedia/admin/users/domembersofgroupsearch.action?membersOfGroupTerm=confluence-users | url: /admin/users/removeuserfromgroup.action | traceId: 932735365deafde7 | userName: admin | action: removeuserfromgroup
com.atlassian.user.EntityException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.OperationNotPermittedException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: At least one directory containing dcameron as a member of confluence-users does not have write permission
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.atlassianuser.EmbeddedCrowdGroupManager.removeMembership(EmbeddedCrowdGroupManager.java:219)

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2018

Okay, so it looks like you are using an external user directory, and that is why you cannot remove the user from within Confluence. Are you using any other Atlassian tools? If you go to Administration > User Management > User Directories, here you can see what you are using. If you are for example using Jira as your user directory you need to go to Jira and remove the user from there.

Bryce Rogers September 28, 2018

I was able to remove the user from active directory. It turns out it was controlled by AD.  However I still cannot edit.

I have 10 users in the confluence-admin and 8 in the confluence-users group.  I thought 10 was free. 

Here is the message I get:

This Confluence installation is not licensed for additional users

You have exceeded the maximum number of users for your license. You will still be able to view content, but in order to create or edit content, you must reduce the number of active users in the installation.

There are two ways to reduce the number of active users:

• Disable users
  • Delete users

To disable or delete a user, visit the Users page then search for their name. After following the appropriate link you can choose the 'Remove' or 'Disable' option.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2018

The number of licensed users is the combination of confluence-admin and confluence-users. So are all your admin users part of the confluence-users group? Or just a subset? If for example only 6 of your admin users is part of the 8 confluence-users your total would be 12 which brings you over the 10 user limit.

Bryce Rogers September 28, 2018

I think I have it figured out now.  Thank you for all of the help. 

kiran kumar June 6, 2022

Hello Bryce, 

Can you please let me know the fix.

Thanks

Kiran

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events