Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create comment. Create your highlight on more unique text....

Tonya Seibert August 27, 2020

I've tried every which way (sentence, words, word, punctuation, header, etc.) with adding an inline comment, but continuously get the following error: 

"Unable to create comment. Create your highlight on more unique test, to make the selection distinct, so that your comment maps to the right content."

Any help would be appreciated. 

5 answers

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2021

Hello Community!

For anyone encountering this issue, the bug for tracking is:

I suspect the length of the selected text may be the issue. Can any of you save the inline comment with a smaller portion of text? What seems to be the limit?

Thank you for your help,

Shannon

0 votes
aubreygonzalez2415 September 26, 2020

I am having the same problem. I've tried the work around and it still doesn't work. This is really important for our team project coming up.... someone please advise!

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Alex Dopp September 1, 2020

Hello,

first of all, there is this bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-70504

Then, what happens sometimes is when you have copied and pasted text from that same page and then want to highlight that pasted text and leave a comment, then this won't work.

Try deleting the pasted text and manually enter it again, publish the page and try to comment then. This worked for me sometimes.

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2020

Hello there! Thanks for sharing here with the community, @Tonya Seibert !

I tried to replicate the behavior in my Confluence site but was ultimately unable to. I can create in-line comments in both unique and non-unique strings of texts inside my pages:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 16.41.47.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-31 at 16.41.58.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-31 at 16.42.08.png

However, I was able to find a bug report that tries to tackle this exact behavior:

Currently, there is no workaround for the behavior. With the fact that I was unable to replicate it, I would like to ask you a few questions. Here we go:

1. Is this still affecting your site?
  2. Are you unable to place in-line comments in all your pages or only specific ones?
  3. Is this happening in both Legacy and New editor?
  4. Is this happening with already existing pages?
  5. Is this happening with newly created pages?

You can differentiate between the Legacy Editor and the New Editor by looking at the top bar:

Legacy Editor:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 16.49.49.png

New Editor:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 16.48.50.png

Let us hear from you!

0 votes
Алексей Перепелов August 28, 2020

Same here, started happening today

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN