Two bugs with 'invite users by email'

Aaron Cody July 16, 2017

1. when the email arrives, it appears to come from 'Anonymous (Confluence)' .. in the email server settings from: is set to: ${fullname} (Confluence)

so $(fullname) is resolving to Anonymous, which is a bug, because the admin full name is set to 'System Admin' in the admin profile....

2. when the email arrives in the destination inbox, there is no visible link .. however if i hover over the space at the bottom of the email, there is a clickable link there (you just can't see it) .. and clicking it sends you to the signup web page...

UPDATE: #2 appears to be a bug in the email client .. as it showed up ok when I send an invite to Gmail ... 

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2017

I tested sending invitations with the From Name:

${fullname} (Confluence)

and it does resolve to anonymous rather than to the administrators name that is doing the inviting. The issue was brought up before with regard to the daily digest being sent from Anonymous:

Daily Digest sent with From set to 'Anonymous' due to ${fullname} resolving to Anonymous

On my test instance the subject of the email does include the fullname of the admin who invited the person.

Aaron Cody July 17, 2017

any idea when this will be fixed? seems it has been broken for years ... nobody trusts emails from 'Anonymous' .. think guys in scary looking masks....

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2017

It was not on the list to be fixed as it was closed as "not a bug". I opened a new ticket, feel free to press your case directly with the development team on the publicly facing issue:

As an admin I would like the invitation email to be "from" the administrator not "Anonymous"

Aaron Cody July 17, 2017

that link just redirects back to here....

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2017

Derp! Here's the raw, unfancy link:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-52872

Nylz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 18, 2020

This is still happening in Version 7.6.2. Makes invitations get stuck in spamfilters of some of ourcustomers.

This is a bit embarrassing because I try to convince them, that Confluence is better than their Microsoft-solution... eliciting them a knowing smile. Atlassian will not fix it "due to limited demand".

Maybe we should review the Microsoft-Solutions, our customers suggested, in a more open minded way. :-/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events