Translate Confluence space names and top navigation of Refined for Confluence

Tobias Schär March 14, 2022

We are using Confluence as an intra- and extranet. The extranet needs to have multilinguality functions to accomodate for 4 languages for anonymous users.

To make Confluence visually more appealing to external users, we are using Refined and have tried several plugins for page content translation. However we struggle to translate Refined's navigation - and therefore we are currently stuck to using a language top-down main navigation, which makes using the extranet quite clunky (see screenshot)

Screenshot 2022-03-14 144316.png

I found this old thread from 2014 describing a partial solution: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/How-to-translate-Confluence-space-names-and-categories-and/qaq-p/494153

The provided solution (using user groups to hide certain spaces) is not viable since I know of no viable way to set specific permissions for different anonymous accesses. 

Does anyone have a solution to this or has encountered a similar issue? Can also be with ScriptRunner stuff or other solutions (or even with servlet filters). Help would be much appreciated since we haven't found any other infos on how to cover this use case for DC, Refined and in regards to multilinguality.

3 answers

0 votes
Tobias Schär June 6, 2022

Hi there all,

many thanks for your suggestion on getting in touch with support. I have had a previous exchance with Refined in regards to this topic and it doesn't seem to be solveable unfortunately..

@Maria Heij [Refined] and @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ : We have now created a structure where the top navigation in refined is in English and have additionally installed Scroll Translations. This works "OK", however I'm just puzzled that in the 21st century multilinguality still gets missed by lots of developers.

Best regards,
Tobias

Maria Heij [Refined] June 7, 2022

Hello Tobias

Yes, there are some challenges with languages still both for us and other vendors. We have some improvements planned for, but as they build on a completely different structure and setup, many changes need to be done our end in the code to accommodate for it. 

As a mention to anyone stumbling in here in the future: With Refined a space can only belong to one category in Refined (which are the the drop down items in the top). This means that if your content is divided to one language per space, the top menu can be made like this (or you could even add in another site to have them separate: https://docs.refined.com/space/REFINEDCONFDC/3605922130/Working%20with%20Multiple%20Sites). If however the content in a space has several languages, the implementation needs to be a bit different (and please reach out to us to get more information). 

This answer currently (2022, June) applies to Refined for Confluence Server/DC. For Refined for Jira Server/DC and for Refined for Cloud, there are some other options. 

Best regards, Maria Heij

Tobias Schär June 9, 2022

Well what are the other implementations? We are facing exactly this issue (having multilingual content and navigation) and couldn't get any help from Refined :(

0 votes
Maria Heij [Refined] June 6, 2022

Hello @Tobias Schär 

Setting up languages using Refined and Confluence can work, but depending on how you've structured the content in the spaces, the path forward may differ a bit. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team at support.refined.com or support@refined.com, and we can get some more details to help you out. You can link your question from here, or copy your description, to the ticket. 

I'll be looking out for your ticket in our support.

Best regards, Maria Heij

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2022

Hi @Tobias Schär 

As this about a specific App - I'd recommend contacting the vendor directly - to do this:

1. Go to their Marketplace listing, and select the Support tab - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/15231/refined-for-confluence-sites-themes?hosting=server&tab=support
  2. Choose a contact method from the right-hand menu

I've also added the right tag in this question, so it's linked to the Refined App :)

Let us know if you find a resolution!

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events