Tool for documenting data model and filters

Sander December 31, 2021

Hello community,

The company I work for has a data model with a few hundred properties, we also have the option to create filters where customers can indicate which property needs to be returned. (this is a manual job) I am looking for a Confluence tool where the team and document two things:

1. Per property (element) indicate in which filter it's used

2. Per filter see which properties are used

3, Version and change management would be nice, but since it's within Confluence I expect this to be handled already

Do you have any recommendations on which tool we can use? Or sent me in the right direction to start our search.

4 answers

2 votes
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2022

Hi @Sander ,

We can suggest trying our app - Table Filter and Charts for Confluence.

It provides the Table Excerpt/Table Excerpt Include macros that work somewhat similar to the Page Properties Report macro but allow you to collect multiple-row tables and create one big combined report.

This report can be further filtered with the help of the Table Filter macro by one or several columns (you'll get various filter' types: free text, dropdown, free text, etc.).

Seems that it will simplify your case: each department/person maintains his/her own table, all the changes are immediately passed to the combined report and your customers use filters to find whatever they need.

Sander January 3, 2022

Hello Katerina,

Thank you for sharing the app, it looks interesting. I will read the documentation and see if it's what we are looking for.

Cheers,

Sander

1 vote
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2022

Hi there,

As this question mentions our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app, we are happy to introduce its new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The new macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

1 vote
Sven Schatter _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2022

Hi @Sander,

Could you maybe give an example of what that would look like exactly? I have a bit of trouble understanding what you'd want the workflow to look like (i.e. who do you want to create what Confluence page at what point, etc.) but it sounds a lot like to me that our app Orderly Databases for Confluence could be a good solution for what you're trying to achieve.

To me it sounds like you'd want to create an Orderly Database that with two columns:

• Filter (Type: Text)
  • Properties (Type: Enum, Multi-select)

You could then put all of your available properties into the enum of the properties column. This would allow customers to create new entries in the database and define for a given Filter what Properties belong to it.

To report on it, you could then later filter by single values such as: "Give me all filters which contains properties X, Y, and Z" or even "Give me properties which are used in at least one filter".

Hope this is helpful to you!

Cheers,
Sven

Sander January 3, 2022

Hello Sven,

The app you link looks promising, I will look into it. Thank you for linking it.

Cheers,

Sander

Like Sven Schatter _K15t_ likes this
0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2021

Hi @Sander 

The details depend on what data you are expecting

Here's the link that may help you

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-can-I-search-for-pages-that-have-the-Pages-Properties-macro/qaq-p/1032988

We can also extract data from API where we can check whether the properties are used

To do this, get the list of pages from the filter and then check for the properties on each page

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/rest/api-group-search

Thanks,
Pramodh

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events