Templates and table-formatting

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that, to create a template, one must use the Confluence WikiMarkup only.

HTML doesn't work, and some macros don't seem to work either.

What I'm wondering is if there is any additional formatting that can be used with tables to merge or format them.
The Confluence documentation only lists the most basic markups;

||Header 1||Header 2||
|Cell 1|Cell 2|

In most Wiki engines, you can use additional formatting, such as "|>|" in TiddlyWiki, or basic HTML in MediaWiki.
Does Confluence have something similar?

I'd love to be able to format tables I insert into templates, instead of having to alter them everytime, as it sort of beats the purpose; its faster and easier to copy the template off another, already formatted page.

Thanks for your time and help!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Turns out https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adaptavist.confluence.contentFormattingMacros did exactly what I needed.

Using the {table} macro, I was able to create the tables I wanted in my templates.

You can use the csv macro from the table plugin https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TBL

Gen,

You're right about that, tables are very limited and you have to use markup to create them. So if you want to create something basic, you can, but that's it.

What Confluence version are you using? We're using 4.2.5 and you can merge cells and do some other things in Edit mode, but it is fairly limited.

I believe that 4.3 has a lot more functionality for tables in Edit mode (from what I've seen I think you'll be able to do what you seem to want) and that you can use WYSIWYG edting on tables in templates. I think 4.3 comes out in September.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,009 views 14 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you