• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Table of content Macro not working.

Hello All,

I am new to confluence. I have added Table of Content Macro on confluence page, It is not displaying headings in serial order

heading are in below serial order:

• A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E

But it is showing in below order.

• C
  • D
  • E
  • A
  • B

How should i correct this?

Thanks in advance,

ch

2 answers

0 votes
Zak Laughton Atlassian Team Jan 15, 2020

Hi Ch!

The table of contents macro should show all header lines on the page in order.

For example, if you had a page with the following three headers in this order on a page...

Red

Blue

Green

...then the table of contents would show them in the same order, similar to:

• Red
  • Blue
  • Green

(For more information, I also recommend reviewing the Table of Contents documentation: Table of Contents Macro)

Some questions that might help the Community troubleshoot:

• Are the items in the Table of Contents in the same order as the headings on the page?
  • Could you provide some screenshots of a page that shows the table of contents and headers out of order?

Thanks!

– Zak

Found this page via Google when experiencing the same issue in the New Editor. Some details I found that may help is this: 

1. The TOC feature is precious about the Minimum and Maximum heading levels on your page. If you happen to be using Heading 2s for your headings with no Heading 1s, then you'll need to open the TOC to edit, and change the value "Minimum heading level" to a value of 2. It wants a heading hierarchy, so best practice is to have Heading 1s above Heading 2s, and just use the typical heading taxonomy. 

2. If you've pasted content from MS Word or another source into your Confluence page, highlight each Confluence heading and manually assign the heading you want (even if it's already there). This silly action seems redundant but it is one of the things I tried immediately before the TOC began to render the list. Could be that this action applies some invisible attribute like the heading-anchor to the line of text containing the heading. 

3. And lastly, a workaround. 
Heading anchor links are generated in this format: 
https://youraccount.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CP/pages/9999/This+Is+My+Confluence+Page#This-Is-A-Page-Heading
Open a new browser window and see if you can access the headings on your page by adding the #Heading-Name portion of the URL manually (and precisely: the URL may be case sensitive).  
If you can access your heading anchors this way, and if all else fails, then you can just manually build your Table of Contents by listing your headings and adding the links yourself. Your users won't know the difference, and it gives them the TOC to use while you and Atlassian Support resolve the root issue. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What do you think is the most *delightful* Confluence feature? Comment for a prize!

- Create your own custom emoji 🔥 - "Shake for Feedback" on mobile 📱 - An endless supply of GIFs via GIPHY 🤩 Is there anything quite as nice as a pleasant surprise? Comment below with what...

415 views 23 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you