Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table of Contents macro within an article displays in Confluence but not when viewed from an issue

Deleted user January 9, 2018

I've created an article in confluence which includes the use of a table of contents macro, it appears to work fine when published and viewed from confluence but when I click on the article form within an issue, the table of content is not displaying, has anyone else had this issue and have information to solve?

THANKS 

view from confluence:

View Confluence.JPG

View from opening link within an issue:View Issue.JPG

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

Hi Karen

It does appear to be a known issue where the Table of Contents Macro is not displaying within the Service Desk Customer Portal:

Could you please place a vote on that bug? It helps us keep track of the users who have run into the issue. I would also recommend watching the issue so you can be updated of any changes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Deleted user January 10, 2018

I have voted and will watch.  Additional question, I read the work-around:

Workaround - Open the page in a different tab to view the macro.

I tried searching in documentation on how to set this up within the article, I haven't found it - can someone provide a link or instructions?

Thanks.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

Hi Karen,

It just means to open the Confluence page directly in another tab in your browser. Once you view the article via Confluence and not Service Desk you should be able to see the Table of Contents macro.

Regards,

Shannon

I think there is a misunderstanding.  Yes I am aware while I'm in Confluence the ToC macro does work.  My issue is that from any place else (ex. Portal, Service Desk) which is where the issue is, I want to enable the work around so that the when the person clicks on the link to open the article, it pops up in another tab (as you are suggesting).   I am not clear where to change that action.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2018

Hi Karen,

To change the action would require programming knowledge, as you would need to go into the Jira Source Code and change the behavior of the knowledge base. I wouldn't recommend making such a change as a workaround to a bug.

The workaround in the bug only refers to the action of opening it in Confluence manually, and wasn't suggesting that the user modify the Jira source code to change the behavior.

I hope this is clear enough but do let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

This workaround doesn't address the problem that is identified in both  JSDSERVER-3565 or what I posted, so I'm confused regarding your response.  Your response is talking about "only refers to the action of opening it in Confluence manually" (I'm not clear on the "manually" part)  which isn't actually an issue - I see the ToC just fine in Confluence.  

So unless I'm missing something there is no work around (which is fine) but let's update this to reflect correctly. 

If I have understood this all correctly, I will go back and modify to have links vs. using the ToC Macro.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2018

Hi Karen,

It is correct that if you only want to view the TOC via Service Desk, then there is no workaround. You will want to modify your links.

However, if you just need to have users view it, then it can be opened in Confluence.

Shannon

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

Hi Shannon, 

Thanks for your response to this question, and for pointing out the open issue -- I've voted for the bug, but was disheartened to see how long this known issue has been around.

Can you comment on the likelihood of this being resolved? I ask because recreating TOC using anchor links in hundreds of Confluence articles is a significant investment of time, and is harder to maintain.

Also, are there other Confluence macros that are known to not work within Jira Service Desk's Customer Portal? 

We have a large amount of documentation in Confluence, and we're just setting up Jira Service Desk -- with some worries that we have more surprises like this ahead of us. 

Thanks again for your help!

Sharon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 5, 2018

Hi Sharon,

I'm not aware of specific macros that don't work with the portal, but a quick search lead me to the following:

If you happen upon any others please feel free to raise a new thread and we can look into it for you.

In regards to the timeframe and likelihood of the bug JSDSERVER-3565 being resolved, it's currently listed as To Do. This means it's not been triaged yet, and we're still gathering information on it. It will be addressed according to our Bug Fixing Policy. The votes, comments, views, and scope will all alter the likelihood and timeframe of the bug being resolved.

Thank you for your understanding and do let me know if you have any questions!

Shannon

0 votes
Laura Sands November 18, 2019

I have this issue as well. I also had an issue with links to headers, which I thought would be a workaround, but I was wrong. Here's my question to the community relating to that problem: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Header-links-open-new-browser-tab-to-the-customer-portal-instead/qaq-p/1228601

I voted on 3565, though I'm shocked it's so old. 

Thanks,

Laura

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2019

Thank you for your vote, Laura. I only posted the Server version of the bug, but I see you commented the Cloud version of this bug in your thread.

I'll share it here as well in case other Cloud users come across this question: 

Thank you again!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events