Sync between JSD and JIRA server instances

Himanshu Nanda September 23, 2020

Hello, new here, tried searching some related articles though.

I have two separate servers, one hosting JIRA software (250 lic), one hosting JIRA Service desk (100 lic).

For certain common fields between the two, what we need is a single source of truth - i.e. a sync from JSD to JIRA (and vice versa). E.g. if I add more products to my list field in JSD, it should automatically update the product list in JIRA.

Tried searching through some plugins like Backbone and Exalate, but what I can't understand is - 

1. What would be a recommended plugin for my use case?

2. Where should the plugin be installed? (JIRA, JSD, or both?) - okay with one way sync if single is an option

3. How many licenses of the plugin would I need? (250 or 100 or 350?)

4. If my fields are configured via another plugin like CRM, would the plugin sync that too?

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jose Lobo (Solutions Architect at Exalate)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2020

Hello @Himanshu Nanda
Thanks for you for your inquiry,

I'm Jose, from the Exalate team. 

Your use case looks like a good case to try our tool.

Can you elaborate what you mean with 

"if I add more products to my list field in JSD, it should automatically update the product list in JIRA."

Are those products already existing in JSD and you will just add them to a specific field? Or will you create the products from zero as new values?

Regarding your questions:

1. Exalate's core values are flexibility and autonomy. 
    Felixibility: You manipulate complex scenarios with our scripting engine.
         Example: value "apple" from field "product" in JSD can be synced to Jira as value "big green apple" in field "fruits"
    Autonomy: Admin's on each side has full control of the data they send to the other side
        Example: Your comments now contain sensitive data you don't want to sync them. You can detele the comment.replica line and this will stop being sent

I hope this helps you in your decision making

2.  Exalate needs to be installed on both ends for the sync to work. This is what allows you to have complete autonomy on each side of the sync

3. You will need a license per Jira instance according to the user tier in each of them. This means, one 250 user license and one 100 user license. Check our pricing site here

4. It is only possible if we support it. These are the 6 systems we currently support

Himanshu Nanda September 24, 2020

Thank you Jose.

What I meant by that is that if a list/dropdown field in JSD has options - A, B, C - configured either directly in JSD custom fields, or via a CRM custom field - these should sync to my JIRA instance on another server. Both cases new as well as modifications - e.g. if let's say I update the source list with a 'D'.

The requirement of two sets of licenses does not make me happy :) But I'll still give this a shot, thank you so much, this helps.

0 votes
Answer accepted
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2020

There are some more, I would suggest looking at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213346/issue-sync-integration-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

As for your questions:

1. Not sure - I would suggest giving all of them the try, based on your Critical Success Factors list. Looking briefly at your case, I assume all of them will fit similarly, still some requirements - like automated updates of field values, might be tricky;

2. Both Jiras if Sync is bidirectional. If unidirectional - depends on plugin;
3. Depends on point 2 above. In general - as many licenses as many users are on instance You install it on. So in bidirectional it would be 1 X 250 + 1 x 100 (there are no summed up licenses)

4. Depends on case. With Issue Sync we were configuring Salesforce few times, in addition we got dedicated (Cloud only) Service Now Sync add-on: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222806/issue-sync-for-servicenow?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

As for fields populated with scripts or specific add-ons CFs - again - in need to be assessed case by case.

Hope it helped.

In case You would need some support with Issue Sync by Deviniti - get in touch.

Himanshu Nanda September 24, 2020

Thanks, this does help. For point 1, I need the 'field options' updated more than the field values.

And the option of one directional sync is useful, thanks.

I'll try out the trial license perhaps and see if this works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events