Support for inline comments on mobile and tablet

Jesse Cary February 26, 2019

I often need to review colleague’s drafts on Confluence and I generally provide feedback using the inline comments, as they are much more contextual. Doing this on my iPad away from my desk in a distraction-free environment or on the road would be ideal.

Is there any planned support for this on tablet / mobile? It doesn’t seem possible with either app nor on the web version, even when selecting “desktop version”...

5 answers

0 votes
Akhil Premraj September 28, 2021

Has this been implemented yet? I see a lot of replies saying the feature is in the works, and should have been rolled out by now. How doI enable it?

Stephanie Zhang _Product_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2021

Hey there! Are you on the latest version of the app? And is your instance on Confluence Cloud? If so, you should be able to create inline comments through highlighting text on a page!

bhupeshm June 21, 2022

@Stephanie Zhang _Product_ we are in Confluence Cloud. When can we expect this to be available? I’m still not able to use this on my iPad (browser and app both). 

0 votes
Ben Mitchell June 29, 2021

Have inline comments been activated for Android or is it only iOS?

Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2021

Hey there! View and reply is supported on Android (create is coming in a few weeks!). Let us know what you think!

Like Tushar Sahoo likes this
Tushar Sahoo July 8, 2021

That's great news! Looking forward to this release then. 😃

Like Ben Mitchell likes this
Ben Mitchell July 26, 2021

Hey, still no option to create inline comments on Android. Is there an ETA on this feature?

Atlassian Team
July 26, 2021

Hi Ben! We've started our feature rollout, but it's currently only 10% rolled out so it's likely you don't have the feature yet. Barring any major issues, we're anticipating 100% roll out by first week of August. 

As a side note, if you're interested in being a beta tester (and having early access to feature releases, feel free to email me at szhang5@atlassian.com and we can get you signed up!) 

Cheers! 

0 votes
Ramesh Nittur July 5, 2020

I am working as a CTO for a startup, happy to do this.

Atlassian Team
July 6, 2020

Hey there @Ramesh Nittur ! Thank you so much for reaching out - could you please reach out to szhang5@atlassian.com with your availability and we can set something up? 

Thanks in advance!

Jim Young September 27, 2020

Can I comment on IPad yet?

Atlassian Team
September 28, 2020

Hi @Jim Young

Soon! We anticipate releasing this feature sometime in the next few weeks to months. 

Like Andrew Tahvildary likes this
Chris Warnock January 7, 2021

Is there an updated ETA on commenting from iPad? It still doesn’t seem to work from either the Confluence Cloud iOS app or the Confluence web version.

Atlassian Team
January 8, 2021

Hey there @Chris Warnock

We're in the process of rolling out inline comments on our new viewing experience for the iOS app. To check out what we have so far, go to account settings and toggle on the new viewing experience. For now, we only have view & reply to existing threads but will have the create flow soon. 

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions or feedback!

Chris Warnock January 8, 2021

Thanks for the reply @Stephanie Zhang _Product_! It seems I already had the new viewing experience turned on, but thanks for the tip regardless. Commenting from iPad actually seems possible because Safari on iPad now requests the desktop version of sites by default. However, it is finicky. While I am able to make comments when editing a page, it doesn’t seem possible when viewing a page (the “+ Comment” button doesn’t appear when text is highlighted). Of course, from a desktop it is possible to make comments when editing and viewing. 

Chris Warnock January 8, 2021

I stand corrected, it now seems to be working in view mode as well.

Atlassian Team
January 8, 2021

@Chris Warnock any chance you'd be open to a 30 min chat with the development team for feedback around your use cases on mobile? As a token of our gratitude we can offer you a $70 giftcard. If you are, please let me know your availability at szhang5@atlassian.com

Brian Mills January 24, 2021

New view mode is great. But can’t wait for the ability to create new inline comments. Thanks for focusing on this. 

Like # people like this
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2021

Hi @Brian Mills

Any chance you'd be open to speaking with the development team for a $70 giftcard? If so, let me know your availability at szhang5@atlassian.com. 

Thanks!

Justin Fiore
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2024

What is the status of "Creating Inline Comments via the Android and iOS apps"?
It is January 2024 and I still can't create Inline Comments via the Android App (I'm using the latest version of the Confluence Cloud app) either via the "View" view or the "Edit" View.
I tried both with the "New page viewing experience" enabled and disabled.

0 votes
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2020

Hey there @Jesse Cary

I'm a product manager with the Confluence Mobile team and we're about to start development on inline comments! Any chance you'd be interested in attending a feedback session to review our early thoughts / designs? Feel free to reach out to szhang5@atlassian.com for your availability. 

As a token of our appreciation, you'll receive an e-gift card worth $75 USD within 5 days of completing your session.

Cheers,
Steph

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2019

Hello there Jesse! Thanks for sharing with the Community.

Currently, we do have a Feature Request that deals with this:

CONFCLOUD-40853 | Allow inline commenting from mobile devices (not iOS app)

As of today, the best course of action would be to Vote And Watch this request. Voting increases the report visibility and Watching will keep you up to date with anything posted there!

Let us know your thoughts on this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events