Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneously creating different versions of storyboard

Florian Unterberger July 5, 2021

Sorry, I'm quite a newby at Confluence - probably my problem is quite easy to solve, but I couldn't find a solution in the forum :-(.

I want to create a storyboard for a theatre performance that takes place in two different locations - so the storyboard varies on some sections (eg names of actors, stage directions etc), but 90 % of the storyboard is identical.

So I'm searching for a possibility

• to write the storyboard within one page,
  • to set markers to assign some parts only to one location and
  • to extract two clean versions for each location at the end (only showing the general and respective parts).

Confluence seams to be the perfect tool for this task, but I cannot find the proper way to set it up.

1 answer

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 6, 2021

Hi @Florian Unterberger

While I don't have a recommendation for how to set and export using the markers you mention, I do think you could use of the content reuse tools in Confluence to help here.

You could write the information for each scene that is the same across both locations on single pages. Then, you could use the Page Include macro to bring those pieces of content into your story board where you want them.

Here's a look at how to use them:

https://www.k15t.com/rock-the-docs/documentation-guide/content-reuse

Florian Unterberger July 6, 2021

Dear Matt, thanks a lot for the instant answer! 

As far as I understand, I would have to switch to an other place to edit the identical parts of the storyboard. That seems a bit cumbersome for our workflow, where we edit identical and divergent parts of the storyboard at the same time. 

Like Matt Reiner _K15t_ likes this
Florian Unterberger July 7, 2021

@Matt Reiner _K15t_: We thought about the following structure: 

A) Master page: Here we edit the complete storyboard - the general parts as well as the location related parts, which we put in "expands" or something similar. 
B) Collection page for location I: Automatically collects the general parts and the parts related to location I (respectively hides all content related to location II).  
C) Collection page for location II: Automatically collects the general parts and the parts related to location II (respectively hides all content related to location I).  

Is there any macro/functionality for expands similar to the excerpts include macro?

Florian Unterberger July 9, 2021

Dear all, 

in the meantime I found an Add-in that nearly perfectly fits my needs: "Visibility for Confluence" offers the macros "Show-if" and "Hide-if", that prevent marked content from exporting to a PDF. 

The only downside is, that the trigger for showing/not showing the content is the user group the current user belongs to. I would prefer controlling by setting a kind of label. Does anyone have an idea?

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 9, 2021

Hmmmm, it seems like you're close with Visibility for Confluence.

I'm also reminded of the conditional content feature our app Scroll Versions offers on Confluence Data Center/Cloud: https://www.k15t.com/rock-the-docs/documentation-guide/conditional-content/define-conditional-content-in-confluence-server-and-data-center-with-scroll-versions

We're currently working on adding similar functionality to our app Scroll Documents, but it won't be ready until (hopefully) Q4.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events