Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show a Space List within a page using Category label

Jason Muzzarelli March 19, 2014

What I'm attempting to do is assign Space Categories to all my spaces, then generate lists on different pages to list spaces that have the corresponding category assigned.

I understand there is a Spaces List macro that will allow me to provide a View Spaces with Category dropdown where users can select the category they want to view by, but I'd like to avoid user input and instead provide a list using the category label.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Remo Siegwart
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

I recently wrote a simple user macro that lists spaces by category:

## @param Label:title=Space Category|type=string|required=true|desc=The category you want to list spaces from.

## try to get space category
#set ( $spaceLabel = $action.labelManager.getLabel( "team:${paramLabel}" ) )

## check if space category exists
#if ( $!spaceLabel )
    ## try to get spaces by category
    #set ( $spaces = $action.labelManager.getSpacesWithLabel( $spaceLabel ) )
    <ul>
    #foreach ( $space in $spaces )
        ## check if current user can view space
        #if ( $permissionHelper.canView( $action.remoteUser, $space ) )
            <li><a href="$!space.urlPath">$!space.name</a></li>
        #end
    #end
    </ul>
#else
    <div class="aui-message warning">
        <p class="title">
            <span class="aui-icon icon-warning">Warning</span>
            <strong>Space category not found</strong>
        </p>
        <p>Couldn't find space category <strong>$paramLabel</strong>!</p>
    </div>
#end

Hope this helps

Jason Muzzarelli March 26, 2014

Great work Remo...exactly what I was looking for!

Alicia Miller April 9, 2014

Me too! Perfect... Thank you!

eyrisone October 20, 2014

This is great!

Is there a way to exclude archived spaces from the list?

Jo Wedenigg October 20, 2014

Awesome … I'm trying to additionally sort the list alphabetically before output. Unfortunately Velocity SortTool seems not to be available within user macros and installing the required Velocity libraries is not an option at the moment. Anyone having another way of sorting the space list?

Remo Siegwart
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2014

You can check if a space is archived with: {code} $space.isArchived() {code} The full version of the macro excluding archived spaces would be: {code} ## @param Label:title=Space Category|type=string|required=true|desc=The category you want to list spaces from. ## try to get space category #set ( $spaceLabel = $action.labelManager.getLabel( "team:${paramLabel}" ) ) ## check if space category exists #if ( $!spaceLabel ) ## try to get spaces by category #set ( $spaces = $action.labelManager.getSpacesWithLabel( $spaceLabel ) ) <ul> #foreach ( $space in $spaces ) ## check if current user can view space and space is not archived #if ( $permissionHelper.canView( $action.remoteUser, $space ) && !$space.isArchived() ) <li><a href="$!space.urlPath">$!space.name</a></li> #end #end </ul> #else <div class="aui-message warning"> <p class="title"> <span class="aui-icon icon-warning">Warning</span> <strong>Space category not found</strong> </p> <p>Couldn't find space category <strong>$paramLabel</strong>!</p> </div> #end {code}

eyrisone October 21, 2014

Perfect. Thank you. $space.isArchived() was exactly what I was looking for.

IT Support May 24, 2016

Perfect for me!

Sam March 28, 2018

Hi Remo, can we have a solution for cloud version of Confluence. 

Thanks,

Arjen Breur November 1, 2018

Iterating further on the version of Remo Siegwart, I've added:

• Sorting the space list by name (using Jonathan Simonoff's code)
  • Second (optional) category parameter. When set, only spaces with BOTH categories will be listed

It's not the prettiest code, but it works. Further improvements could be: selecting AND/OR operator for second category, showing space icon instead of bullet point, etc.

## Macro title: List Spaces by Category
## Macro has a body: N

## @param Label1:title=Category|type=string|required=true|desc=The category you want to list spaces from. Only non-archived spaces will be listed.
## @param Label2:title=Category2|type=string|required=false|desc=Optional second category. Only spaces that have BOTH categories will be listed.

## try to get space categories
#set ( $spaceLabel1 = $action.labelManager.getLabel( "team:${paramLabel1}" ) )
#set ( $spaceLabel2 = $action.labelManager.getLabel( "team:${paramLabel2}" ) )

#if ( $!spaceLabel1 )
#set ( $spaces1 = $action.labelManager.getSpacesWithLabel( $spaceLabel1 ) )

## sort spaces alphabetically
#set($size=$spaces1.size())
#foreach($junk in $spaces1) ##Bubble sort takes n^2 passes
#set($actual=-1)##Having trouble with math on $velocityCount -- keeping my own count
#foreach($line in $spaces1)
#set($actual=$actual+1)
#if($velocityCount<$size) ##Preventing bad array access
## Compare this and previous
## If this is smaller, swap
#if ($line.name.compareToIgnoreCase($spaces1.get($velocityCount).name) > 0 )
#set ($tmp=$spaces1.get($velocityCount))
#set ($junk=$spaces1.set($velocityCount,$line))
#set ($junk=$spaces1.set($actual,$tmp))
#end
#end
#end
#end

<ul>
#foreach ( $space in $spaces1 )
## check if current user can view space and space is not archived
#if ( $permissionHelper.canView( $action.remoteUser, $space ) && !$space.isArchived() )
## check if there is a second category that the space should have to be listed
#if ($!spaceLabel2)
#set ( $spaces2 = $action.labelManager.getSpacesWithLabel( $spaceLabel2 ) )
#if($spaces2.contains($space))
#end
#else
#end
#end
#end
</ul>
#else
<div class="aui-message warning"> <p class="title"> <span class="aui-icon icon-warning">Warning</span> <p>Couldn't find space category <strong>$paramLabel1</strong>!</p> </div>
#end
Like Ben_Lee likes this
0 votes
Jason Muzzarelli April 14, 2014

So I made some modifications to this user macro that I think you may find useful Jo.

Please note, you'll need to update urls with your site and provide the image being called on, browse.png. This is something I used for users to click on to access space permissions (as in the Space Inventory List currently available).

Let me know if you have additional questions

## @param Header:title=Table Header|type=string|required=true|desc=The title for table results.

## @param Label:title=Space Category|type=string|required=true|desc=The category you want to list spaces from.

## try to get space category
#set ( $spaceLabel = $action.labelManager.getLabel( "team:${paramLabel}" ) )

#if ( $!spaceLabel )
    #set ( $spaces = $action.labelManager.getSpacesWithLabel( $spaceLabel ) )
&lt;STYLE TYPE="text/css"&gt;
&lt;!--
.spaceTable { background-color:#F2F2F2;border-collapse:collapse;color:#000;font-size:14px; }
.spaceTable th { background-color:#FFFFFF;color:white;width:auto; }
.spaceTable td, .spaceTable th { padding:5px;border:0; }
.spaceTable td { border-bottom:1px solid #A4A4A4; }
--&gt;
&lt;/STYLE&gt;
    &lt;TABLE BORDER CLASS="spaceTable"&gt;
      &lt;TR&gt;
      &lt;TH border="5" cellpadding="15" width="300px" STYLE="background-color: "&gt;&lt;P ALIGN="center"&gt;
${paramHeader}
     &lt;/P&gt;
     &lt;/TH&gt;
     &lt;/TR&gt;
    #foreach ( $space in $spaces )
        ## check if current user can view space
        #if ( $permissionHelper.canView( $action.remoteUser, $space ) )
     &lt;TR&gt;
            &lt;TD border="5" cellpadding="15" width="auto" STYLE="background-color: #FFFFFF"&gt;
&lt;a href="$!space.urlPath"&gt;$!space.name&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/TD&gt;

&lt;TD border="5" cellpadding="15" width="auto" STYLE="background-color: #FFFFFF"&gt;
&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href="https://**yoursite**/spaces/spacepermissions.action?key=$!space.key"&gt;&lt;DIV TITLE="View Space Permissions"&gt;&lt;img src="https://**yoursite**/download/attachments/browse.png"&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/TD&gt;
            &lt;/TR&gt;
        #end
    #end
    &lt;/table&gt;
#else
    &lt;div class="aui-message warning"&gt;
        &lt;p class="title"&gt;
            &lt;span class="aui-icon icon-warning"&gt;Warning&lt;/span&gt;
            &lt;strong&gt;No spaces in this category&lt;/strong&gt;
        &lt;/p&gt;
        &lt;p&gt;Couldn't find space category &lt;strong&gt;$paramLabel&lt;/strong&gt;!&lt;/p&gt;
    &lt;/div&gt;
#end

Jo Wedenigg April 14, 2014

Interesting … didn't think of the possibility of sorting by using a table!

Heshan Manamperi
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2014

It doesn't work for me, I'm using Confluence 5.5

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2015

Is it possible to force the table to be pre-sorted so I don't need to click on the column header?

mike January 24, 2019

Do anyone here know if I can reference space categories in a CQL or if it is only possible using macros?

I could only find page labels usable when composing a CQL..

Coresystems AG May 28, 2019

Hey, I try it but i get some HTML looking stuff .... can someone give me the other settings i have to setup on the Makro creation Thing 

Alina Frey September 23, 2019

Same here.  It's displaying the script content in html format. I wonder if it needs to be inserted into an html interpreter script. 

Kari Jarrett February 3, 2021

Has anyone found out why these just show HTML for the results?  I can tell my results are correct but it is not rendering correctly

Ronald Baumbach March 28, 2022

For the 1st example (Remo Siegwart) and 3rd example (Jason Muzzarelli) in this feed just replace some code:

&lt; --> <
&gt; --> >

Then the user macro will create valid HTML code.

And: Use the "render"-function when you create the user macro in confluence administration to render the HTML code when the user macro is placed on a confluence site.

Then the 1st  and 3rd example works fine :) 

For sorting the HTML table in the 3rd example just use the "table filter and charts" macro from the app marketplace to use the full possibilities of filters and sorting in this user macro. On your confluence site you just have to wrap your user macro into the table macro by drag and drop and then configure filters and sorting.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events