Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show/Hide content based on IPs

nibeck March 13, 2014

We have a situation where within the same space, we would like certain content to only be visible based on the users IP that is accessing the system. We have complete control of the base systems (OS, Apache, etc).

Is there a native mechanism for this?

Can it be done with a custom plug-in?

_mike

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2014

Forget Confluence for this - it's not got anything, and even if it did, it's the wrong place. You want to block access well before the user gets to the application.

You want to be looking at IP white-lists for Apache really.

Although I still don't really trust it, as I've been involved in security testing that involves spoofing IP addresses and it's horribly easy to bypass most IP level restrictions we were looking at.

nibeck March 17, 2014

I know we already do a lot of this an the network layer for access to whole sites. What I would like to do is turn on/off peices of content within a page. What about a custom plug-in? Scenario:

- When a user access the site from a specified IP range, we set an environment variable identifying them

- There is a plug-in that inspects that value and conditionally shows content

This is a model we have used in some custom built apps, just wondering if we could re-create that functionality inside Confluence.

I know it's a long shot, just investigating.

_mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events