Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Permissions For Space

Wes Farnsworth May 3, 2023

I'm looking to set up a space with different permissions from the rest of our confluence cloud setup that we can send customers to for knowledge base articles. This would ideally only be accessible through a specified link we provide to them through their customer portal on our website, but not accessible through any other methods. 

What would be the best and easiest way to set something like this up?

One of the methods I've considered is setting up a single user ID and password. But I'm not sure how I could make Confluence recognize it each time the link is clicked thus bypassing any login requirements. 

Can anyone help?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

@Wes Farnsworth 

There are a couple of ways you could share the information in Confluence publicly / with customers.  You can make a space public which would allow anyone on the internet to find the content of that space.  This could be linked through the customer portal.  

If the information should be limited to customers you could look at using Jira Service Management (JSM).  You could add all your customers to JSM as customers and then they could access the Confluence KB through JSM after logging in.  This would prevent any individual from accessing the information.  

Wes Farnsworth May 5, 2023

@Brant Schroeder thanks for the response!

We don't want to make the space public, because we don't want Google to be able to crawl the content. We are also trying to prevent us from having to update a list of customers every time someone is added or removed from the list of qualified customers. 

This is why I'm trying to make it so that if the customer meets the criteria and the link is provided to them in the dashboard then they will be able to access the space. Otherwise, they will either get a login prompt (which they wouldn't have the info to) or an error of some kind letting them know they don't have access to the content and to reach out for help.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2023

@Wes Farnsworth Those are really the only ways to secure it.  You could IPSEC it as a public space so only certain IPs could access it.  But that would still require managing your client's IPs and the customer would have to be on their company's network or VPN for it to work.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events