Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching a macro within a knowledge base confluence page from a service desk

nicolee April 13, 2020

I have a Jira Service Desk that is connected to a Knowledge Base in Confluence. However, the text that I want to be searchable is contained within the Jira Issues macro. Is there a way to automatically convert the data from the macro into set text so related issues come up when new tickets are submitted in the service desk?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2020

Hello @nicolee,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you!

Can you confirm, when you view the Jira issues macro via the portal, what is the information that you can see from your side? I believe it should just be the key and the issue request type, which is what's preventing your users from being able to search the content within the issue. Could you confirm what you see?

If your Jira Service Desk users not also (paid) licensed Jira users, and the project isn't a public project, they would also not be able to search the text since they don't have permissions to see the issue. You can see this example in the issue below:

• CONFSERVER-54159 Allow JIRA service desk customer to view the issue via JIRA issue macro and team calendar

I'm not aware of any ways to convert the data from the macro into text, but it may be better to just have your users perform the JQL search within Jira, provided they are licensed.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Shannon

nicolee April 16, 2020

Hi @Shannon S

Thanks for the response!

In Confluence, I can see the following columns of the Jira issues that are captured by the JQL query defined in the Jira issues macro:

Key, Summary, Type, Created, Updated, Assienee, Status

However, when I go to submit a ticket via the Service Desk, as I input text in the "Summary" field, nothing comes up under "We've found solutions that could save you time", even when searching the same text as some of the issue summaries. I believe this is because the text within the macro is dynamic so I'm not sure if there is a way to search it.

Best,

Nikki

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

Hi Nikki,

Apologies for the delay on getting back to you. From my understanding, you're expecting the text being displayed in the Jira Issues Macro to come up in search results. Is that right?

If so, this is not possible, since the text within the Jira issues macro isn't stored in the Confluence database. The data is being pulled from Jira, so you'd need to do a JQL search from Jira in order to obtain that data. Thus, it would require a Jira license, and not be possible for Jira Service Desk customers.

There's a feature request that's similar to this, and that's to be able to search in the Customer Portal for similar issues using the description. I'd recommend voting on it if it's something you'd like to see in the future.

•  JSDCLOUD-3713 Allow searching for the ticket's description on the Customer Portal Search

Lastly, there's a feature request to link the Confluence search to Jira, but it would only add the search capability within Confluence. That means only licensed Confluence users would be able to search, and also require a paid Jira license to obtain the data from Jira. This isn't particularly useful with Jira Service Desk, but I wanted to share it in case anyone wanted this to work from the opposite end.

I hope that answers your question, but do let me know if you have any follow-up concerns about that.

Take care,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events