Running applications from within Confluence

I am just starting with Confluence and I want to setup a server management page so that all of the server details for a given site can be seen on that page. We are running Confluence 3.0.1 at present but will soon be upgrading to 4.1 I can link to server management cards using http by putting in their IP address but I would like to be able to remote to the server using RDP by running mstsc /v:10.1.1.1 by hitting a button on the page.

Q1 Can I easily run a dos command or a windows application from within the Confluence page?

Q2 Are there more buttons than just the coloured stars available - something a little larger?

I haven't got admin rights on the server and will need to get the admin to load the appropriate plugin/macro should one exist.

2 answers

You can add .rdp files as attachments on the page and link to those, eg [Connect to Server|^server.rdp].

Confluence can run anything but it would run on the server, which is not what you want. You could use activeX but that's all a bit passé, and has security implications.

Don't know about buttons, but you can add your own images or style buttons using the space stylesheet, if you're a space admin.

0 votes
Joe Clark Atlassian Team Feb 13, 2012

Some other alternatives here, but none of them seem very straight-forward: http://superuser.com/questions/312011/can-you-launch-remote-desktop-via-url

I like Jamie's suggestion.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in New to Confluence

How to use Confluence Cloud for stakeholder management

Most of us don’t need much convincing that stakeholder management is important. It just makes sense that keeping everyone in-the-know on projects and assigning clearly defined roles is key to having ...

1,121 views 2 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you