Remove PDF Viewer

Dina Tsuda August 5, 2015

Since the last upgrade, all documents on our site now show in a PDF viewer.  We have a lot of forms available on our site and users would prefer to skip the viewer and just go straight to downloading the form so that it is fillable.  Is there a way to either completely turn off the PDF viewer in our system OR to adjust settings at a document level so it goes straight to download?

Thank you!

Dina

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
lavitz slambert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2015

Hey @Dina Tsuda,

I've made a further search and I'm afraid that there's no way to disable the preview without causing that side effect sad. I also found a improvement request for that:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-36899

At this point I would suggest you to vote for the feature and add your thoughts in there so we can increase it's relevance.

Thanks and Regards,
Lavitz - the guy that uses Confluence on Windows as a Hobby!
1 vote
Dina Tsuda August 10, 2015

Thank you for your response Lavitz.  I have reviewed the improvement request and submitted my vote.  Crossing my fingers that Confluence will come up with an improvement for this in the near future.  Thank you!

Dina Tsuda

1 vote
Dina Tsuda August 5, 2015

Thanks for the response Lavitz!  Very helpful!  I will review the post and see if we can disable the plug in.  Thank you!

Dina

lavitz slambert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2015

I'm glad I was able to help :D, in case it works then make sure to mark my reply as the answer ;), else let me know.

1 vote
lavitz slambert
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2015

Hey @Dina Tsuda,

I recall seeing a similar post in the past which teaches you how to disable only the PDF preview function:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/15288040

Just follow the steps provided by @Eduardo Mallmann comment and that should do the trick laugh.

Thanks and Regards,

Lavitz - the guy that uses Confluence on Windows as a Hobby!

0 votes
Dina Tsuda August 6, 2015

I worked with our IT department and realized we tried this option before.  Unfortunately, by disabling the plug in, it has a side effect.  Once the plug in is disabled, when you search for a document and click on it in the quick search, it does not open the document anymore.  Instead it takes you to the page that the document is located on instead.  Since we have pages that contain a lot of links, this is not a practical solution for us because now the user has to scan the page to look for the document link.  Not practical and leads to additional frustration for the user. 

If the user does not click on the document in the search box and accesses it via a page instead, then this fix works.  However, in our case, most users are searching for the document and accessing it via quick search.  Any other options available out there?  Or does someone know if Atlassian is working on a setting where we can turn this feature off for certain documents?

Thank you!

Dina

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events