Questions: How can we retrieve answers from all users?

Amelio Vazquez-Reina June 6, 2017

We are hoping to incentivize the use of Confluence Questions in my company (~ 300 employees) by giving prizes for the top-contributing users per tag. To do so, we are hoping to retrieve how many votes each user got for each question and answer, per tag. This will help us update an internal score board every month or quarter.

While I can retrieve questions from everyone with the API, I can only retrieve my own answers, even with the admin account.

E.g. the command below only retrieves the answers of <username>:

curl -u <username>:<password> -X GET https://<company_name>.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/questions/1.0/answer\?limit\=1000000000 | python -mjson.tool

How can we retrieve (using the API or any other way) the full list of answers from all users in the organization? 

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2017

Would it be possible to use the experts leaderboard functionality built into Questions to satisfy your use case? Please review: Votes and Experts and let us know what you think.

Amelio Vazquez-Reina June 6, 2017

Thank you Ann. We definitely thought of doing so, but it doesn't give us what we need, which is:

• Monthly/quarterly statistics.To properly incentivize participation in our Q&A site we need to reward behavior in e.g. the last quarter/month. The leaderboard only shows the cumulative score per user which leads to the result of having all-time top users always eclipsing other employees. It also does not reward employees for their regular and continued participation on the site.

• Statistics per tag. We have many teams in the company and we want to reward top-contributors per team. We have a pre-defined set of tags for teams and squads and engineers can use them to target those teams. We would like to track activity around each tag. The current leaderboard only shows the account-wide top users, but some teams naturally generate or receive more questions than others. 

With the API we were also hoping to slice and dice the data and analyze statistics with flexibility to detect more clearly pain points and knowledge-sharing problems across the organization.

Amelio Vazquez-Reina June 15, 2017

Hi Ann. Do you know if Questions is a product Atlassian is actively working on? We would like to have a sense of the roadmap and the level of support before we start a subscription.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2017

Please see our Confluence Product Manager's answer to the following question and let me know if it covers your concerns:

What is the future of Questions for Confluence?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events