Provide view access to a single page of a large space

Joel G March 3, 2021

Our situation is this, we have a space where we store quite a bit of information for quite a few different projects.  There are hundreds of pages in this space.   I need to be able to give view-only access to a single page in the space to a specific user (or group).  

I assumed I would be able to solve this problem by adding them (their user/group) to the Page Restrictions and granting them access.  The problem I have is that the restriction doesn't seem to be able to be used to grant permissions to a page, only to further restrict.  So it looks like the user or group would have to be added to the space permissions and then restricted from every other page in the space. 

• Is that my only option? Or is there a better way to handle this that I'm missing?
  • Is there an easy way to bulk add page restrictions?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2021

Hi @Joel G ,

Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head with how Confluence access works- a users who has access to a space sees everything except for what has additional restrictions.

I have not personally used them, but I have found some plugins that can allow pages to be shared externally, perhaps that functionality would be of use to you.

Regarding bulk changes to page restrictions, the answer is yes and no. There is no officially bulk move tool as there is in Jira, but restrictions are inherited.

View Restrictions: If I set a view restriction at the single highest point in my hierarchy, all pages below it will also be hidden to anyone who does not meet the restriction

Edit Restrictions: If I set an edit restriction to a parent page, only that page will be protected from being edited, while its children will still be able to be modified by anyone that has edit access to the Space

Daniel Valenzuela December 6, 2021

hi @Michael Andolfatto

thanks for your help. One question: Is it possible to set a default page restriction? That way, all paged would be created with view only for the group "internal users" and, to share with the group externals, users would have to lift that restriction individually, thus accomplishing the same goal.

0 votes
Joel G March 5, 2021

Thank you for your help @Michael Andolfatto 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders