Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with playing the uploaded videos inline a Confluence page.

Matija Zupan October 8, 2019

I've uploaded a couple of video files to a Confluence page to be played inline. The videos are from 3 to 5GB in size.

Q1: The documentation says you can upload files up to 100MB. Is that true and if it, how come I was able to upload all of the videos with above mentioned sizes?

As said, I was able to upload them, and they played inline successfully ... until they did not. Upon refreshing the page again the next day, some of the videos would no be recognized as an inline video anymore. I replaced those, but then, in a while, a next set of videos that were previously playable inline now didn't start or even appear as inline videos anymore. 

Q2: Is the above problem related to the size or the compression of the videos? Or is the main problem the 100MB limit that I was able to seemingly pass without a warning or an error?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2019

Hello Matija,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you join us!

There's a known bug at the moment that the new media picker isn't honoring attachment size limit. Have a look below:

• CONFCLOUD-67912 New media picker not respecting max file size setting for attachments

By the way, the 100 MB limit you mention is the just the default max, but it can be changed. Have a look at Configuring Attachment Size for details on that.

As for why your videos stopped playing, I haven't heard anything about this issue affecting that. I think it's possible that you're encountering two bugs here. There's another issue where uploaded videos will only play the one time, until you refresh the page.

Can you confirm if this occurs for any video, no matter the size, or have you uploaded some smaller videos in the same timeframe and those are still working? 

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

Matija Zupan October 11, 2019

Hi Shannon. Thanks for replying! 

The second bug where a video is playable only once and then turns to a downloadable file is exactly what the problem is. 

So, no fix for this yet?

Best, Matija

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2019

Matija,

Thank you for confirming that. It's correct; there is no workaround or fix for this bug yet.

Perhaps if you are able to attach an external copy of the video, it might work for you?

Regards,

Shannon

Matija Zupan October 11, 2019

No, unfortunately, I would need the videos to be played inline. Can you give an estimate to when will this bug be fixed?

Thanks,

Matija

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2019

Matija,

You can still embed videos if they're external using the Multimedia Macro. Note that some content providers have changed something recently and they aren't all working with this macro, so if you encounter any issues, let me know the provider who is hosting your video and I can let you know if there's a solution for that.

Regarding the fix for the bug, the bug is currently in the status Gathering Impact. For now, it just means that we're gathering more information about this bug, and your vote can help us to understand how wide-spread the issue is. It's not possible to estimate a fix ETA based on that information alone, so I recommend that you vote and watch the bug, where you will receive up-to-date information about its progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Shannon

Sandra Soucie December 5, 2019

Hi Shannon-

Except the multimedia macro no longer exists. So what's the workaround at this point?

Thank you,

Sandi

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2019

Hi Sandi,

Thank you for the follow-up.

For internal videos, you can drag the item directly to the page and it will be embedded.

CleanShot 2019-12-06 at 12.01.44.png

However, for external videos, you can use the iFrame Macro to display your video. You may need to obtain the URL for the embedded video using the embed code provided by the video host. For example, with Vimeo, the URL of the video itself won't work, but if you obtain the embeddable URL from the code they provide, it will work.

Finally, we have a feature request below to provide a multimedia macro in the new editor:

Please vote on this to show that it's something you'd be interested in, and you'll also be added to the list of watchers and receive updates in the future.

I hope that helps, but if you have any trouble at all, please let me know.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events