Passing username and password via URL and licence model

Hauke Gulich December 18, 2017

Hello everyone,

our company wants to use Confluence for documentation for our customers. We don't want for copyright reasons that only our customer who paid for the online documentation are able to access this Confluence instance.

We do have about 400 customs and I guess that almost everyone wants to have access to our documentation. We are about 20 people how writes the documentation. 

Do I need 420 user accounts in oder to realize this? So if a customer doesn't want the documentation anymore, we can delete or deactivat the account in Confluence. So I guess each customer needs its own account?

On the other hand if we would make the documentation readable only (without login), we would have to buy a 20 user licence? A user licence is only needed if the person needs to login into the system but not necessarily for reading acticles?

My second question is if I am able to pass the credentials to Confluence within the URL? If a user press F1 in our application, Confluence should be opened with the login information stored in the customer database.

We want to host Confluence by ourself. 

Thanks for your help and many greetings from Germany!

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2017

Hi Hauke,

You may enable read-only access for Anonymous users to allow the 400 customers to see the documentation without logging in and taking up a license. If the instance is publicly accessible that will enable anyone to view your documentation, however. Here is the doc with details: Global Permissions Overview

Yes, you may pass the credentials via URL, like: <confluence-url>/dashboard.action?os_username=<username>&os_password=<password>

Please see Confluence URL list for the documentation.

I look forward to hearing how your implementation goes.

Greetings from Texas!

Ann

Harry Knott September 16, 2022

Looks like this is no longer supported:  

Login through URL  ... (Confluence 7.9 and earlier)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events