Numbered lists break when you remove the numbering function from lines in the sequence that do not need to use numbers.

Mick Davidson November 14, 2011

Numbered lists break when you remove the numbering function from lines in the sequence that do not need to use numbers.

How do you make a numbered list that includes lines (and graphics, figure numbers etc) that do not need to be numbered? My experience is that all lines have to have them.

If I remove the numbers from the lines I don't want them on, the following lines start renumbering from 1, which is pretty useless.

The only fix is to add them manually, but this isn't what I want to do. Before V4 I could force them to work in wiki markup, this is not an option in V4.

Cheers,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2011
Press SHIFT+ENTER to add a line between a two items on a numbered list.
Mick Davidson November 24, 2011

Matt,

Thanks, that worked. It's great when you're creating the list from scracth, but not so handy if you've got imported pages where the numbering already existed. All ours have changed so that after each graphic and title, the numbered list reverts to 1.

To get arund this I've had to de-number the list apart from the first one, then move all the steps above the grpahics as renumber them. As I did this I used Chift+Enter to create spaces for the graphics and figure numbers. I then added these back as appropriate. Which is a pretty tedious process and I have dozens of these to to.

I'm lookng for volunteers... :)

Thanks again.

0 votes
Eric Vook March 25, 2019

Leave the numbers on.

You have lines in groups, some text and some diagrams.

Use the Shift+Enter to add lines to a group with the same number.

If you want to start the "next" number, go to the end of the last line in the group, hit DELETE to remove the newline.

Then hit plain "Enter" and the numbering will continue on the line you add.

Use this delete-then-enter pattern to work your way down the list.

Sherral Trotter March 30, 2023

Thank you, this did help.  But maybe you can help with a related problem.  I am inserting the Note macro between some of my numbered items.  I noticed it won't let me insert the note on a line that is formatted with the numbered list.  However, if I turn it off to insert the note, it starts renumbering underneath note with #1.  I want it to continue numbering.  The Shift enter does allow me to create a blank line and insert and image but it won't let me insert the note.  Any ideas?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events