New editor linking to Anchor

Darron Smith May 6, 2019

I decided to try out the new confluence page editor and one of the first things I wanted to do was insert an anchor for other pages to reference.

This Anchor is no longer an available macro, but it's not deprecated according to documentation and nothing in the existing Anchor docs looks designed for the new editor.

What am I missing?

35 answers

2 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Matthias February 4, 2020

This question is not answered.

The correct answer is: They will not bring this macro back and they have no solution to this.

Please vote here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69198

Klaus Leiter May 19, 2020

Bring the anchor back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz Middleton May 21, 2020

Bring the anchor back!! The suggested solution of using one of the smaller headings does not work.  I tried to put it into a table and that also did not work.  This is really frustrating.

Stanislav Ploschansky May 26, 2020

Why they removed? Need it as well and was using very often!

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bo Korrel April 6, 2020

Hi guys, I am not sure if anybody already mentioned this, but I found a workaround:

Make sure that the text you want to link to is a heading and temporary publish your confluence page, then hover over the heading until you see the 'chain' symbol and click on 'copy link to header',  go back to the edit mode of your page and use this link just like any other link. 

I hope this might help!

Ron MacCracken May 28, 2020

This worked for me. I don't know if it is relative or not; for example, if I move the page somewhere else, will the anchor link to the old location, or the heading within the page? But for now, it is a workaround.

Robert Bouthillier June 10, 2020

I need links to files located on the page and often showed a file AS A LINK.  If I could hover over a file at the bottom and grab a link, that would work, but filenames are truncated, so once they are dragged onto a page, the full filename is no longer available.

Dropping Anchors reduces Confluence functionality to match that of Microsoft Sharepoint.  This is clearly making it harder to justify using Confluence over the in-house standard.

Peter August 4, 2020

I'd just add that this is pretty fragile, any change to the text of the header appears to break links.

Like Martin Kemp likes this
Stacia Martin September 15, 2020

This was very helpful, thanks Bo!

13 votes
Brooke September 24, 2019

Please vote here if you are impacted so maybe the fix can be expedited! With only 12 people voting for the issue so far, I'm sure that's not helping matters. CONFCLOUD-66773

alfred September 24, 2019

Voted! Thanks for this, Brooke! The vote count is now... 16. Let's move this up, people!

Like Brooke likes this
Darron Smith August 6, 2020

They closed that one (October 2019 - "we currently have no plans in the near term to bring back the Anchor Macro in its original state.") and now we have this:

CONFCLOUD-69198 

You'll find a few tickets out there in this space.

Vote them all up!

11 votes
Lucas Stannis September 5, 2019

So, do we have anchors back? This is so frustrating :(

8 votes
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2019

Hi all,

Apologies for the frustration this has created. The anchoring capability will be coming back within the coming weeks as the ability to link/anchor directly to headers as a first step, followed by the ability to anchor to additional areas in a page.

Andrew Hunt August 13, 2019

Is there an update on the timeline for this core feature (areas in a page)?

Like # people like this
mike @ mindbridge September 4, 2019

The 'coming weeks' have passed.  I think it's time for an update on the situation.  Tnx.  

Like # people like this
Ueslei Rech Valentini September 11, 2019

still waiting....

Like # people like this
mike @ mindbridge September 13, 2019

Just spit-balling a POSSIBLE WORKAROUND:

Create a new page for any/everything you want to link to in your document.  So page 1 (or 0 depending on your mind set) headers linking to stuff.  Pages: 2 (or 1)-... are all your sections each with links to additional pages containing subsections, subsubsections, etc.  Each page should have two buttons, one to link to their parent page and one to link to page 1 (or 0)(aka 'root').  Page 1 (or 0)(aka 'root') should also have a tree diagram of the document structure so the user can quickly see the document structure and now I think of it page 1 (or 0)(aka 'root') should have headers, subheaders, subsubheaders, etc. linking to the appropriate page in the doc.  Just throwing this out there and if you think it's a reasonable approach feel free to propose any changes and please reconsider your life choices in UI/UX.

Yeah, I had a few minutes free waiting for a process to complete.  Come on ATLASSIAN TEAM, give us some hope.

Like Matthias likes this
Matthew Wong February 5, 2020

waiting

Like Lisa Fazenbaker likes this
Veve February 11, 2020

still waiting

Anh Pham February 17, 2020

Still waiting...

Bring it back please, it's very helpful!

Josef Etz April 21, 2020

waiting

Klaus Leiter May 9, 2020

waiting, waiting.......... :-(

Daniel May 19, 2020

It's 2020, can we please get this simple feature? It is a requirement for writing good documentation articles.

This is getting frustrating!

Klaus Leiter May 22, 2020

We are a customers and pay for real necessary features which have been canceled somewhere in the dark background  Atlassian programming office......

It is more than irritating, that nobody from Atlassian gives a statement to this and many more drawbacks of this famous new editor - best decision for the moment would be withdraw the new editor !!!!!

Sue Hannan June 10, 2020

Agree, I would like to see Anchors in the new editor!

7 votes
Fritz Stelluto November 11, 2019

LOL why is the question marked as resolved - it isn't.

Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2019

Good question! I was wondering about that as well!

Like Julia B -Doc Queen likes this
mike @ mindbridge November 22, 2019

Possibly because there was an Atlassian response to the question (see above)?  I took a stab at getting attention to this.  Maybe start a new question?

5 votes
Lisa Brown November 11, 2019

Is there any way to switch back to the old editor? I don't see one.

I too am looking for a way to create an anchor in the new editor :(

5 votes
Eshwar Palem October 25, 2019

You should have given a proper ETA for this because this is getting beyond worst now.

5 votes
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2019
David Gard December 18, 2019

This is 10 weeks old and it says "we're rolling this out gradually over the next couple of weeks, so if you don't see it yet - hold tight, you will soon!"

Still nothing.

Like # people like this
Matthias February 4, 2020

That one was closed with "Won't fix" which is ridiculous. Here is another one: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69198

5 votes
Charlotte Banfield July 22, 2019

+1 for needing this feature... I'm building up a glossary and really could do with being able to insert text anchors. Eagerly awaiting the (re)appearance of this feature - otherwise absolutely loving the new editor!

4 votes
Elsa Saks May 29, 2019

i have exactly the same question. been reading the documentation but can't see 'link advanced' options and 'anchor macro' anywhere.

what's the solution for this? i'd like get help.

4 votes
Darron Smith May 6, 2019

OK, never mind...

The anchor macro is temporarily unavailable,

Stabilitron September 16, 2019

Really waiting for it!!!!  

Like Deleted user likes this
3 votes
anton.qiu January 15, 2020

2020. No Anchor.

anton.qiu January 22, 2020

A workaround, or that's what Atlassian wants us to do:

• Create a TOC, set permissions and publish your page, visible to you only
  • Copy items in the TOC as anchor links.
3 votes
steven.burks October 18, 2019

Seriously? No anchor functionality, still?

I have no idea how to revert to the old editor. Suggestions?

How do I enter markup mode in the new editor?

2 votes
mike @ mindbridge November 22, 2019

I posted a new version of this question.  If you read this maybe pile on to that question while it is still 'active'.

2 votes
Deleted user November 20, 2019

Could we get an answer here please? 

2 votes
Bhakti Paranjpe October 31, 2019

Bring the old editor back please ! This is no way better !

Image placement is also so difficult.

Sections - so rigid

Table - difficult ! 

Lisa Fazenbaker March 31, 2020

So true and so annoying!

2 votes
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
September 26, 2019

Hi all,

I know it's been a long wait but we're ironing out some final kinks and you should have link-able headers available natively in the new editor within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for upvoting this and we're looking forward to releasing this very shortly.

Avinoam

mike @ mindbridge October 21, 2019

We don't have anchors yet.  So I really think there should be a statement from you.  If it were me running your show a statement would go out clarifying the priority of the feature and the challenges it's presented to the dev team(eg. new framework facilitating 'x' means that such linking is very difficult/not required).  Right now the silence is a statement saying 'Screw you all, got other stuff we care about'.  That will translate from a statement about a functionality to a commentary on the company.

A statement at this point will: a) show good will and b) be a good growth experience for a junior manager.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Steve Hermes September 25, 2019

Come on Guys !  You said "A few weeks" in June.

What is the update ? 

2 votes
Ralph Kohler September 6, 2019

Very frustrating :(

2 votes
Jan Williams June 25, 2019

Since anchors have been unceremoniously dumped, is there any suggested alternative for providing similar functionality?

2 votes
Ryan Mueller May 24, 2019

Come on Atlassian, it's little stuff like this that makes it hard to sell this platform to coworkers.

Jan Williams June 25, 2019

I couldn't agree more. I am experiencing that right now. Trying to get a team of over 20 to use Confluence and facing a barrage of complaints!

Like Helen Gosper likes this
Lucas Stannis September 5, 2019

Yeah... It's so good but it falls flat on the most basic stuff. 

Brooke September 24, 2019

@Ryan Mueller exactly. I am running a committee on improving collaboration in our organization using Confluence, and unfortunately, a lot of the very things I have been encouraging people to try and pitching as solutions to their challenges are now broken in the new editor (anchors, centering photos in tables, inserting documents as clickable links to download something like a PDF, etc.).

I love Atlassian, but the new editor challenges have really set us back. I hope we get a fix for this soon, as without the anchor macro functionality, we will have to totally rethink what we were working on. Getting everyone to reference instead of recreate content requires the anchor macro! And btw the manual workaround that appears here doesn't work. 

Is there an updated time frame for a fix @Avinoam

Like # people like this
Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2019

Same situation here... good stuff shouldn't be removed from the product!

1 vote
mike @ mindbridge July 22, 2020

Ahhh ... Robert Bouthillier's answer clarifies precisely what will happen.  Atlassian has no incentive to bring Anchors back.  To summarize:

a)  Atlassian's competition does not have Anchors so their users don't know about the feature

b) Atlassian will put their efforts in to having the same features as their competitors so they can lure the competition's users to their product with 'the same user experience'.

c) unless the competition has Anchors, Atlassian never will.

So maybe we should be lobbying the competition ... and going with them if they include Anchors :-D

Klaus Leiter July 24, 2020

As far as I know Sharepoint is free within the MS Office 365 suite - so why do we pay really a lot of money for confluence -licence ????

I really do not want to be sarcastic - but the Atlassian confluence business model is perfect - frustrated customers pay for all features you can get for free from the competition and further more they pay for removing all the other features which have been former Atlassian usps....... 

1 vote
Robert Bouthillier July 22, 2020

Omitting Anchors was a huge miss.    If our team code this option for our sharepoint installation we will just shift to Sharepoint - which also does not natively offer Anchors.    But Sharepoint never had them whereas this was a key differentiator for Confluence.

1 vote
Klaus Leiter May 19, 2020

Dear Alltassian team!

Please restore the most practical features of the old editor !!

1. anchor

2. insert thumbnails of attachment links

3. convert thumbnails to ordinary text-links

4. and so on......

Robert Bouthillier June 10, 2020

Confluence is fast approaching the minimal functionality of Microsoft Sharepoint - which is not very useful. 

Like Klaus Leiter likes this
1 vote
Katrini Alano Martinkoski August 12, 2019

Boa tarde,

Utilizamos muito as âncoras em nossas documentações, gostaria que esta opção retornasse o quanto antes. 

Ueslei Rech Valentini September 11, 2019

Nós também... estamos aguardando.

1 vote
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2019

Hi all! anchors will soon be available natively in the new editor as the ability to link anchor to headings will be made available in the coming weeks.

Nathan Vasquez August 23, 2019

May seem small but really need these back. 

alfred September 4, 2019

Came here to find out why I can't find the anchor macro despite the documentation stating so. Is there any workaround while we wait for this to be available in the new editor, @Avinoam?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events