New editor: code block without line numbers?

Chris Boyce May 3, 2021

Hello all,

We're an Opsgenie customer looking at Confluence Cloud to replace our old Wiki.  I realize the "new" editor has removed some macros and features users used to enjoy and that perhaps some of those capabilities will be returning in time.

What I'm not sure about is basic code blocks.  Unless I'm missing something, there appears to be no way to make a simple fixed-font or monospaced block of text (such as showing system output or file contents) without having line numbers. 

Even this community forum editor allows this, so it seems almost ironic that an industry standard like Confluence can't do it.  Is it inevitable that some of the code block customizations in the "old" macro will be re-instated?

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

@Chris Boyce Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

You are correct that the code block does not have this ability.  There is a feature request here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-1179  This is the closest that I found so you might want to submit your own.  

Chris Boyce May 3, 2021

Thanks @Brant Schroeder - would you happen to know if code blocks inside Expands are also broken?  I can't seem to make that work either.  Thanks!

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

@Chris Boyce - I am able to make that work.  If you add the expand and then add the code block it works.

Chris Boyce May 3, 2021

@Brant Schroederyou're right it works "on its own" but it doesn't seem to work inside a table, ie. if you want to format everything nicely.  When you create the code block, it jumps outside the expand and there seems to be no way to drag it back inside.  Attempting screenshot below...

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.23.31 AM.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

@Chris Boyce - Looks like you found a limitation.  I was also not able to do it within a table either.  

Like Chris Boyce likes this
Chris Boyce May 3, 2021

Thanks for the quick replies. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders