Naming Convention of page?

May I know more about the naming convention of page?

It seems that there is an issue when i put "[Text] ABCD EFGH" as page name.
The problem is likely to result from the bracket.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Jonathan

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Jonathan,

From the sounds of it you are hitting this bug, which is related to square brackets in page titles: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-30020

So, in theory Confluence should gracefully handle titles with square brackets but unfortunately due to that bug there is some odd behaviour with them and I suspect tihs is what you are encountering.

All the best,
John

Jonathan,

This is probably covered in the Confluence docs, but there are certain things that you can't use, however sometimes this is only apparent when you do something else.

For example, I've found using something like a colon in a page title is acceptable but if you then use the page with the colon in the title in the Include Excerpt macro, the macro can't find it.

So you have to edit the page name and remove the colon. When you do this the Include Excerpt macro will work.

This is just an example, but it shows that sometimes saving the page is ok, but linking to it isn't. It's a matter of experimenting and seeing what works.

Cheers.

Hi John

Thanks for the heads up and you guess makes perfect sense. The bug is exactly what I have been experiencing.

So I guess I would have to avoid putting square brackets in titles at this moment until the bug is fixed... (gonna try with parentheses, curly brackets and angle brackets too)

Cheers,

Jonathan

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

539 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you