Monospace text

John Howard September 23, 2021

I'd like to be able to format some text with a monospace font. I know the code macro can do this but I want to be able to highlight the text specifically (bold, italic, change colour etc).

I've seen some reference to a noformat or preformatted option but these do not seem to be available to me. 

From what I can see this is something that was provided before but has been taken away despite a number of customers requiring it.

Is there anything I can do?

2 answers

0 votes
Kris Fininen February 2, 2023

We use the Monospace option under the More drop-down, or sadly, are forced to go to use the Source Editor to directly insert CSS styling. A real pain. Very disappointing there is such a limited text editor. There have been rumors for the 5 years at least that they were going to address this problem.

Are there any 3rd party add-ons that might be useful?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2021

I can't find anything about preformatted being removed from Cloud, and it's still working for me in all the Confluence Cloud systems I've tried today.

From the leader's confluence just now, I get this:Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 12.40.36.png

Are you seeing something different?

Yes - I am only getting: 

image.png

Is it maybe an option that the admin needs to enable?

Like Bohdan Mart likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2021

Ah, sorry, I forgot.

Your page is set to use the new editor for Cloud.  This doesn't have the "preformatted" text, exactly as you say in your original question, it expects you to use "code" blocks.

Arguably, it's not quite "removed", it's more "never implemented in the new editor", but that's semantics.

I'm afraid we are stuck with the code block for monospaced text in the new editor.  I don't believe Atlassian have plans to add mono-space to the formatting options in the new editor.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Wow - that sucks. 

It seems like a pretty basic requirement. Is there any way I can lend my weight to getting it added?

Like Jim Nidositko likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2021

Yes, Atlassian have a public list of improvements, bugs, suggestions and so-on.  It's a very long list, but I think you might want to skim through https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=text%20~%20monospace%20AND%20project%20%3D%20%22Confluence%20Cloud%22%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC

Find the most appropriate ones and vote for them (and comment if you want) 

Atlassian don't take all their priorities or guidance from there, but it is considered as one part of the prioritisation/ranking.  (They don't take any weighting/voting from Community directly, but do sometimes raise their own improvements from conversations here.  All those people saying "+1" or complaining here are not contributing any weight to the issues, they need to go vote in Jira)

Thanks for your help Nic

Bohdan Mart July 18, 2022

@John Howard was you able to find exact Issue to upvote? Because Nic posted link to search. 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- how to enable "old editor"? I see on some pages in our it is used, but on new one it's ne editor.

I like old editor, because you can add revision commentary at the bottom of a screen. In new editor I need to click [...] and select "Publish with comment"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

You'll need to raise a support request with Atlassian to see if it can still be enabled for your system.  https://support.atlassian.com/contact is the starting point for that.

Chris Bassett December 6, 2022

Link to the Jira that you should upvote:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-1179

The Upvote option is under the "More" button at the top .

John Howard December 6, 2022

Voted up - thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events