cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating spaces between confluence instances

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2016

Hi All

Iam trying to migrate a few spaces from one confluence instance to another. And i am going to do it via xml export and xml import for spaces.

My question to you is, will the xml export contain all the attachments, contents, videos etc? or will i need to copy some folders manually from the physical server as well (something similar we do in JIRA project import for attachments folder)

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2016

Yes. It contains everything including attachments. No need to manually move them.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2016

Thanks Jobin , just wanted to confirm. 

2 votes
Smita August 19, 2019

What happens to the users of the spaces ? If I try to migrate from one instance to another , and the target instance doesn't have any user

A) Does it create USERS upon migration ?

OR

B) It is a prerequisite to create users before migrating ?

OR

C) Is it okay if we create users post to migration of spaces and it will fix the "Unknown user" stuff?

Thanks

SMita

2 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2016

Hi @Rahul Aich [Nagra],

All you have to do is select Full XML Export instead of custom as shown below are screenshots for reference.

You need to have export Space permission or you should be a confluence administrator.

Step 1 :

export-xml-1.PNG

Step 2:

export-xml-2.PNG

Hope this helps

Regards

Chander

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2016

thanks Chander, it confirms my understanding.

Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2016

Awesome Rahul!!

pdbarnes April 20, 2017

Uh, the text in your screen image, and in my Confluence, says it does not export attachments, blogs or comments:

Full Export (includes pages not visible to you) 

Generates a XML file for each page in this space, including those not visible to you, and excluding blogs, comments, and attachments.
Stephane Desrochers September 14, 2017

You're wrigth Peter! The UI still have this notice (on my 5.10 server version) but is is wrong. I expect it is fixed in some later versions.

Brian M Thomas September 20, 2017

Just another voice agreeing that the UI is incorrect.  It has been partially fixed; my version only says that blogs are excluded, but I have exported many a space, and nothing is excluded.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events