Migrating personal spaces

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

I am migrating 100+ users from one Confluence site to another, existing Confluence site. They would like to migrate their personal spaces during this process. Is this possible? Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

Use space export to export the personal space to xml and import into the new instance. Note that both instances must be the same version.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+a+Space

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2014

Thank you, Bhushan. I was able to backup my own personal space from the source instance and restore it on the target instance. However, I had to delete my personal space on the target site first. Do you know if this can be automated or simplified? This approach seems to require each user export their own space. Thanks again!

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2014

Could you please provide some more info on what type of migration you are trying to perform?

Are you migrating a whole confluence instance to a new server?

Are you migrating selected spaces from an existing instance to a new instance?

Please provide as much info as possible

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2014

We are migrating many (not all) spaces from an old Confluence server to another, running instance. We have a plan for exporting and importing the global spaces. We are trying to figure out how to most easily migrate the users' personal spaces.

We are NOT migrating an entire confluence site to a new server. Too bad, because that sounds pretty easy. :)

Some users have identically named accounts on both instances, so they may have existing personal spaces on the target machine.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2014

Are you ok with deleting users personal space on the target instance?

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2014

If users want to migrate their personal spaces from the source server, I think it is fair that they lose any pre-existing personal space on the target server.

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2014

Julia, we ended up using Bob Swift's Confluence Command Line to do the exports, copied the .xml files to the new confluence server, and used the built-in space restore. It worked great.

Julia Wester August 21, 2014

have you had any issue with the space importing as a global space or have you seen the personal space import as a personal space? We also are doing this and have 400+ personal spaces to import.

Nick DeSimone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 11, 2016

Julia, that is exactly what I just saw. I exported my personal space and imported it. It showed up as a global space with my user name.

NikD63
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 28, 2018

It looks like the import/restore space feature is only available to admins. Is there some way a normal (non-admin) user can import into their own personal space?

We are migrating our Confluence from one site to another. Instead of an admin migrating every user's personal space we would prefer to have the users export and import their own space. Can this be done? My question is only in regards to personal spaces; other spaces have been migrated by an admin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events