Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macros not working after Confluence migration

Robert M March 7, 2013

We are in the process of preparing for an upgrade to the latest version of Confluence and as the first step I am trying to bring up a copy of our production 3.3.3 version on another server.

I am following the instructions found in the "Migrating Confluence Between Servers" document ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+Confluence+Between+Servers ).

The two machines are running identical OS (Linux), same Java version (1.6) and using the same external database version (Oracle 10.2).

Everything seems to be working just fine however every page that has a macro on it is no longer working (message: "Unknown Macro: {macroname}".

This is my first look at Confluence, I was not involved as anything execpt a user the first time through so there's a bit of a learning curve involved but I was hoping someone else might have seen this same issue at some point in the past and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert M May 7, 2013

I finally gave up on this one. I can only assume that something went wrong during the initial upgrade process because after wiping the installation and redoing the entire cloning process, it all worked just fine. We are now running 3.5.13 in our DEV environment and preparing for an upgrade to 4.3.7.

1 vote
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 8, 2013
If this is on a duplicate server running Confluence 3.x, it sounds like the macros are not enabled. Try going into Confluence admin > Plugins and check which macros are enabled. Enable the ones that are disabled ;) If you're on Confluence 4+ already, the user macros are likely all broken. Check out this guide for some tips: http://davidsimpson.me/2012/01/24/on-converting-wiki-markup-based-user-macros-for-use-with-confluence-4/
0 votes
Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2013

When going from v3.x to v4+ user macros will no longer work until they are updated to work with the new macro browser per User Macro Migration. In the admin console you should notice there are either warning icons or error icons next to the user macros letting you know they need to be updated.

Robert M March 17, 2013

This is in preparation for an upgrade, we have done done the upgrade yet. We are still running 3.3.3 on this instance.

Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

Then make sure you change all your user macros to html as wiki markup is no longer used. If any of your user macros have no parameters then make sure you also have

## @noparams

at the top of the template code.

Robert M March 19, 2013

I know we'll have to do that when we upgrade to v4 but we're still on v3 here and these same macros are working fine in our production instance.

Also, the user macros are all working (we have very few of them), the ones we're having problems with are standard macros, for example: {pagestatus} or {workflow-include}.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events