Looking for user experiences running AntiVirus to Scan Attachments

Doug Wieland January 25, 2012

We're exploring confluence server configurations and want to use AV software to scan attachments.

I'm looking for advice/experience in setting up AV software for that purpose.

Example questions I have....

• What is your confluence setup? single server, cluster, specs of server?
  • What are you scanning?
  • Location of the data you're scanning, network, local?
  • How frequently are you scanning?
  • Are you running the AV application locally on the confluence server?
  • Are you experiencing performance issues?
  • Any tuning tips? etc.

3 answers

1 vote
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2012

Hi Doung,

I haven't ran into many customers that are doing this. We did have a feature request for this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-4731 but we received very little taction for it and don't consider it to be as strategic. You might want to reach out ot one of our partners (linked off the ticket) if you are looking into something like this. They may have implemented something similar for customers.

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

Answer from Tim Brigham via ServerFault:

I don't bother when running an internal wiki or when using a Linux box. I should probably use clamav on the upload folder...

If I were running a publicly available instance on a Windows box I would set it up just like any other web server. For the attachment folder set up the scans on write and a rare (weekly, monthly, etc) full scan and do a scan on each write.

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2012

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events