Local admin user taking a license

I have just installed a new server copy of Confluence and connected it to Active Directory for user lookup.

Is it possible to retain an Internal Directory admin login without using up a license?

I am worried that if we have an issue with the AD directory connector we will be unable to login and resolve the issue. Plus the Directory Connector can only be edited when logged in as a local user.

7 answers

How about the user id that you used to create the confluence server ? That should be an internal user 

But I guess as an admin - you are always counted against the license

I have two admin id myself - one synced from AD and the other is created in Confluence Internal directory independent of AD

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Yes, the issue is that we are tight on the number of licenses and as the internal admin uses a license it stops us from having one more person being able to use the system.

I suppose one alternative is that I use a local login rather than an AD one and that will both free up a license and provide access in the event that there is a directory lookup issue.

Might I suggest an enhanced license haha

0 vote

You could disable the internal user if you're not using it, after making sure another account is in the "system admin" group.  That would free up the "seat"

Thanks for the suggestions. smile

I have decided the best thing is to go back to my manager for a bigger license.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

100 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you