Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking content from one page to another in Confluence

lennon_x June 22, 2014

We have bunch of Confluence pages for each team to note down the leaves. Each such page consists of a table with team, team member name, month, week ..etc.

Now we want to have a consolidate page which shows information about all the teams in a single page. Can we create a consolidated page which uses the content in all other pages?

I read about macros/excerpts but couldn't understand how they can be used. Is it possible to use content from one page in another page dynamically?

2 answers

2 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2014

Yes,

You need to put the content you want to share with another page (for example the table) in an Excerpt macro.

You then use the Excerpt include macro to get that Excerpt block into your single page.

You could also take a look at the iframe and html macro's to include information from other pages.

Best regards,

Peter

lennon_x June 22, 2014

Thanks for the answers.

I could use Excerpts macro to put tables in other pages, and then use all of them in a single page.

However, I wanted to combine the column content of those tables into a single table in new page.

That doesn't seem to be possible with Excerpts macros, I can't put column content of table into an Excerpt. I can only put the entire table into one Excerpt.

I found few post related to the subject:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/198380/how-to-combine-content-of-two-different-tables-into-one-table

(This requires Confluence 5.X, we are running 4.3)

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52764/recipe-for-using-reporting-plugin-to-combine-tables-from-child-pages

(This uses third party plugins)

I am trying to divide the content with page layouts. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Working+with+Page+Layouts+and+Columns+and+Sections

I don't know how they are going to work though...

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2014

Lennon,

I've done this a few times using the Page Include macro. All you have to do is create a new page, the one where you want all the info to appear on, then add the Page Include macro.

Do this for all the pages you want to include.

A downside to this is that you can end up with a very long page. But you can always use the TOC so you can link to everything. If I were doing this I'd set the page up so it had two sections, with the right one being narrower. That's where I'd add the TOC macro.

Peter is right, though the excerpt macro is normally used with smaller sections of content, not the whole page. and you can only use it once on the page you are extracting content from.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events