Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Issues Macro won't display select list fields?

David Stallard December 4, 2019

We have found, with Confluence 6.15.1, that the Jira Issues Macro errors out if we put a Select List field in the list of output columns.  The message it displays is misleading:

"Unable to render Jira issues macro. Connection to Jira has timed out."

But the error happens instantly, so there is no spinning until it hits a wait limit.  If we remove the Select List field from the output columns then the macro renders successfully.  We have replicated this with various different Select List fields, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with a specific Jira field.

Does anyone know why fields of type Select List might be a problem, or how to get around it?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2019

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting us about this. 

When you say that you're using a Select List Field, does that mean this is a custom field?

Custom fields aren't working in the Jira Issues Macro at the moment, so I think that might be related to what is causing your issue:

Whether or not you get the loading icon, I think is not the issue, but it's specifically timing out and there's an error in the server logs.

Would you be able to have a look at your server logs for Jira and Confluence and let me know what kind of errors your site encounters when it tries to load the macro?

Regards,

Shannon

David Stallard January 28, 2020

Shannon, sorry for the delayed response.  I think one difference between CONFSERVER-53500 and what we're seeing is that the bug report mentions that you see a spinning wheel for a long time and it eventually errors.  In our case, it is failing instantly.  I have added parameters to catalina.sh to increase timeout values from 10 seconds to 60 seconds, as I saw recommended elsewhere, but it doesn't have any impact because the macro is failing instantly, not even waiting the 10 seconds of the original timeout setting.

We have found that if we continually refresh the Confluence page, the macro will render sometimes and other times will give the message about timing out as described above.

I've tried refreshing the page while watching the logs and it doesn't generate any log message at all when it fails to render.  Not sure if there is a particular log setting I could increase in order to see any messaging.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

Hi David,

Thank you for the follow-up.

You can use the instructions at Timeouts in the JIRA Issues Macro or Highlighting Plugin for which logging to enable DEBUG on:

Set the following packages to DEBUG (for more information on how to do this, see Configuring Logging):

• com.atlassian.confluence.extra.jira
  • com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.JIRA
  • com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.createjiracontent

In addition, I would check the steps at Jira Issues macros timeout in Confluence after 5 seconds for additional troubleshooting steps for these types of issues.

Regards,

Shannon 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events