JSON export issue confluence links

Maxim Maximov January 6, 2020

Hi All,

Exported JSON for several issues does not contain links to the Confluence, which means they will be lost during migration of data of my Project from Jira Server to Jira Cloud.

I was looking through the atlassian confluence and looks like there is only ticket links supported by the JSON export/import.

Am I loosing something?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

If my understanding is correct, you would like import issues from Jira Server into Jira Cloud by exporting to JSON, but this is not including the issue links to Confluence pages. Is this correct? 

If that's the case I have to indeed confirm that this functionality is no preset at the moment, but we have the below feature request open for it in our system:

You may want to vote and watch the above feature request so that you will get notified in case of any update. The  feature will be addressed according to the Implementation of New Features Policy.

Possible workaround are the following:

1. You may want to check if the new tool we have built to facilitate the migration from Jira Server to Cloud (Jira Cloud Migration Assistant). The tool is still under development, so you may want to ask @Jason Wong  in the below threads if the tool is also migrating issues external/remote links.
  2. Extract all the links to confluence pages from the Jira Server DB table remotelink and then write a script to set them programmatically using the REST API endpoint to Create or update remote issue links (POST /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/remotelink). I might be able to help with this, if you decide to go this way.

Cheers,
Dario

Maxim Maximov January 10, 2020

Hi Dario,

Your assumption is correct, I am trying to push project from Jira Server to Jira Cloud through the JSON export.

And JSON is not include links to Confluence and External links which could be painful for our data consistency.

Can you please explain two points:

1. As part of migration we also want to move Confluence Spaces from Server to Cloud. This could mean that the Confluence links (suggested to be pulled from the Database in p.2 above) will be different in the Cloud than they were in the Server. Can you please suggest solution here.

2. Can you please confirm that (POST /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/remotelink) also supports external WEB links.

Thanks and have a great day!

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Hi @Maxim Maximov ,

If you are actually planning to migrate both, Jira and Confluence, then there might be better ways to proceed. However, let me anticipate that in any case you will have to open a support request with Atlassian Support to have the link URLs to Confluence pages fixed to point to the new locations.

Also, it might actually be a good idea to open a support ticket before starting the work since we have a dedicated team to help with migrations that will be able to suggest the best way to proceed in your specific case.

1. Using backups only:
    1. Create a Cloud instance having Confluence only (otherwise this procedure does not work).
    2. Export the full Confluence Server backup and import it into Cloud by following the instructions in: Use Jira Site Import to migrate from server to cloud
    3. Export full Jira Server backup and import it in Cloud as explained in: Exporting issues
    4. Open a ticket with Atlassian Support in order to have the links to Confluence pages fixed: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

2. Using a mixed approach:
    1. Migrate your Jira data to Cloud by following the instructions in: Use Jira Site Import to migrate from server to cloud
    2. Migrate your Confluence Server data using the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant app
    3. Open a ticket with Atlassian Support in order to have the links to Confluence pages fixed: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Finally, you may want to review the below links since are providing a lot of details about the migration from Server to Cloud:

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Maxim Maximov January 13, 2020

Hi @Dario B 

I raised request to Migration team of atlassian: https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/49/MOVE-5631

Thanks for pointing this and thank you for attention to my current request.

Just to be clear about the migration from Server to Cloud which I am working on.

We have working and full of content Cloud Jira and Confluence and the task which I am performing now is to Merge into it (consolidate in one instance) our Jira Server and Confluence Server instance.

In this context it's still not 100% clear how to use POST /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/remotelink suggested by you above. I mean for external URL (to google docs or some web pages) will retain the same, so I can use this approach. But Confluence URLs are going to change.

Thanks and waiting for your reply.

I am preparing this migration for the past 3 month and the timeline for completing it by 25.01.2020.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
January 14, 2020

Hi @Maxim Maximov ,

About the Confluence links:

If you were going to use the 1st approach I proposed,  full backups, then the pages would have kept their IDs, only the first part of the URL would have changed and then we could either:

• change the URLs in the remotelink table in Jira Cloud (support could to this)
  • extract a list of links for the desired issues from the remotelink table on Jira Server side, export to CSV (that has issue key and remote link to be created), create a script that takes the CSV in input and for each line run the REST API call to create/update the link to Confluence page  

Without using the backup, but using either the migration assistant tool, or space to space export, the page IDs will be indeed different. However, in this case, the Migration team should have a script that compares the page names from source and destination Confluence (they will ask you to export some data from Confluence Server DB) to find the page IDs after the migration. 

In any case, since you are already in touch with the Migration Team, I strongly advise to continue this conversation with them since they are the best resource to assist with this.

Cheers,
Dario

Maxim Maximov January 15, 2020

Hi Dario,

I get closer to the migration and reviewed do you provided and the API documentation:  POST /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/remotelink  and looks like it's not exactly what I need. This is about creating links between tickets in the Jira:

"If a globalId is provided and a remote issue link with that global ID is found it is updated. Any fields without values in the request are set to null. Otherwise, the remote issue link is created."

What I am looking for is to retain links which we have from the ticket to external resources like G-drive, One-drive, or some public WEB.

Is there any solution for this?

Dario B
Atlassian Team
January 16, 2020

Hi @Maxim Maximov ,

The endpoint  POST /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/remotelink  can also be used to create links to Confluence pages.

Please review below thread for details on how to do so:

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Itamar Ben Sinai December 29, 2020

Hi @Dario B 

Can you add a DB query sample to pull the data from Mysql and a script sample to push the links to the cloud?

Thanks

Itamar

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events