Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues moving pages and attachments to different space

Jerry Dodge April 10, 2020

I moved a number of page structures from one space to another. Most of it moved just fine, however one particular page and all its sub-pages was stuck in the old space (which I planned on deleting). When I click on that page, it does in fact redirect me to the new space which I moved it to. But that page, and all its sub-pages, still appeared on the old space. I was afraid that if I delete the old space, all that would be lost too.

Upon investigation, it seems related to file attachments. Every page had attachments, such as PDF and PPT files. If I go to the attachment list of the old space, when I hover over a file's URL, it in fact does show the new space key in the URL. 

BUT, when I go to the new space, those attachments didn't appear.

I found this:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Problems-moving-attachments-in-confluence/qaq-p/26491

It hints issues related to special characters in the page names. In fact, a few of the pages did have special characters. I changed their names, and noticed that many of the attachments finally get moved. But not all of them.

It turns out, the trick to actually getting them all moved is to open each and every page in edit mode, and click "Publish" without any changes. THEN, suddenly all the attachments of that page get moved. I had to do this on about 20 pages until the old space finally doesn't show any attachments.

Now I feel safe to delete the old space. But this seems to be a big issue.

Additionally, I believe this is related to the fact that all of these pages were very old, and these particular pages, when I try to convert to the new editor, it fails. Which is very odd, because literally the only thing on these pages is maybe 1 or 2 attachments.

I also just realized the page(s) are still showing up in both spaces in the main menu on the left. If I go to the space settings, it shows no traces of them in the reorder pages, orphaned pages, etc. It's as if it's not there.

So why is this page structure still appearing in the old space? And if I delete this space, will I lose these pages?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events