Is undefined internal user searched in MS Active Directory?

Hans Zemp January 20, 2017

For Confluence I've internal directory management in first place. For secondary I've defined MS Active Directory. If a user is not defined internally but in Active Directory, will it be found there? On my first tests I just get "User xxx not found":

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2017

It should be - you can imagine that when Confluence is looking for a user, it checks the directories in the order listed, one at a time, until it finds someone.  So yes, in your case, if it doesn't find them in the internal, it'll look in the AD next.

If it's not finding them in the AD directory, then check the settings, you may be filtering them out.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2017

Or it may not have synced yet.

0 votes
Hans Zemp January 26, 2017

Thank's Nic. I read the link you mentioned and have now  a mixed environment: Internal directory first, AD second. Some users and authorizations are internal, some in AD. Works great so far. Now a question: If a user is owner of a Confluence document, I can't delete him. Now if the user is just defined in AD and not internal, I can delete this user through AD even though he's still owner of a Confluence document. How will Confluence handle this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2017

It'll throw errors in the logs on some actions, but for the users, I think it just shows the history and owner as the plain login name, as it doesn't have any other data for them.

0 votes
Hans Zemp January 22, 2017

Thank you Nic. You're right, after changing settings for AD, it worked.

Now I'd like to have internal directory first and AD second. So, I started to delete users from internal directory that AD is used. But users, which are owners of existing docu in confluence, I cannot delete. Is there a way to "move" users from internal directory to AD?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2017

Annoyingly (because you can do it in JIRA), no.  There's docs on the complexity at https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/managing-multiple-directories-229838494.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events