Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to use a template multiple times in a page?

Michael Glatter-Götz April 12, 2012

Hi!

I'm quite new to Confluence and am evaluating this system for our company right now. Now I can't figure out how to do the following thing:

Is there a possibility to make a reusable template-like thing that I can use in a page? With templates I can only create a new page but can't use it as part of a page.

1 answer

1 vote
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2012

Hi,

You're right that templates can only be used to create a new page, but a standard workaround to do what you're trying to do is the following:

1. Create a page at the root of the Space called "_includes" or similar
2. Create relevant pages underneath the "_includes" page, 1 for each snippet that you want to re-use
3. Populate these pages with the relevant content snippets
4. Use the {include} macro on your real pages to include the relevant snippet(s)

Does that make sense?

Andrew.

Michael Glatter-Götz April 12, 2012

Thanks for the answer. But I'm afraid your solution is not what I want: If I had _includes\Snippet1 and include that snippet in two other pages then I can't edit the snippet there. I want something like a template where I can fill in missing text fields/images/whatever but each "derivative" of the template should be independent from the others.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2012

Ah ok. Another approach would be to write a user macros for each template which would be independent wherever they were used though they would be more rigid than normal templates as you'd need to define the missing values as parameters to the macros.

Or go really low-tech and have a page with a library of snippets and copy and paste them in to the real pages when you need them?

Andrew.

Michael Glatter-Götz May 13, 2012

Hey Andrew!

Thanks for you answers. After a few weeks of evaluation we ended at the "really low-tech" solution, it works fine for us.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events