Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to redirect Confluence page after title change?

barbarat May 1, 2015

We wanted to change the title of a page on Confluence (which affects the url of the page itself). Users that have the old name/page bookmarked will not be able to get to the new page. Is there a way to address this on a Cloud instance?

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2015

This doesn't work because long time ago a bunch of people forgot that there is an old HTTP specification what is supposed to be followed by anyone writing web applications.

So if you want to have this fixed, the right way, please add your comments and votes to the issue listed below

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-2906 

Don't be discouraged to add your comments even if you see that is more than 10 years old, there is still hope in Atlassian's box.

kristof nacsa September 23, 2015

vote added

4 votes
BenoitP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2015

If people use the "Tiny link" instead of the "Link" (options available when sharing a page with "Link to this page..."), then, the tiny link stays the same even if the page is renamed.

2 votes
Steve April 28, 2021

Redirection in Confluence cloud is not technically possible. We use a work around for when want to create a new page and keep the old one for whatever reason.

We built a macro as we didn't find anything that worked or us on the marketplace, it uses a pop up to get around the Confluence restrictions, if interested it called Easy Redirection for Confluence Cloud.

You can do some things to redirect in Confluence cloud that are nice and which can't be done when redirect in Confluence server. That said it comes with its own challenges.

0 votes
barbarat May 1, 2015

Strange, I did not see the page you were looking for may be <THIS>. I'll try again.

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2015

By default, Confluence is smart enough to handle this as long as you move or rename the existing page.

For example, if I have a page called "About Me" and then I edit that page and rename it to "About Joe", I'll get this page if I try to go to the old bookmarked URL:

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 2.01.33 PM.png

MarkC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2015

The problem with that is it isn't an automatic redirect. I've had to go to people's desks and help them find renamed content even though the link to the page is right there on the Page Not Found. They just don't bother to read below that, hence why a redirect, in my opinion, is preferable.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2015

Page Not Found might be better titled as "Take a look at these pages we found for you"

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2015
barbarat May 1, 2015

Thanks..forgot to mention I'm on a Cloud instance which it's not available.

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2015

As I should have realized since you tagged confluence-cloud. Sorry for the noise.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events