Is there a way to clear issues from Board / Backlog also for a second column/status?

Rouvi June 10, 2021

test.png

2 answers

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2022

Hello @Rouvi ,

I know this is an older thread but I just came across this recently and looking at the behavior you are mentioning I cannot reproduce the behavior and it seems like there might be a bug occurring here.

I was not able to locate an existing bug report for this behavior but again as this is an older thread and a fix may have already been rolled out as part of another bug report that I missed. 

So I wanted to first ask if you are still seeing this behavior on your instance, as I would like to take a closer look at the setting and see if we can track down the scenario that is not allowing you to clear the issues under the rejected status.

Regards,
Earl

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

I am sorry, I am not quite understanding this one.

Could you tell me a bit more about what you expect your "clear column" process to do?  And what is this "second column"?

Rouvi June 10, 2021

there is a function for done issues in the board called clear. it simply removes those issues from the board and backlog. I would like to also use the function clear for another status.

workflow:

- if we solve an issue we set it to completed and after a while we use clear to get rid of the solved tickets in the board

- if we reject an issue we set it to rejected and after a while we would like to clear those issues too. 

sidenote: I've tried to move status reject also to completed in the workflow. that works. but after I add the status reject to completed the function clear is no longer available :)

does that help?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Makes sense, yes, thank you for explaining!

So, I think it's worth explaining a bit about what "clear" does - it does not really remove any issues.  It takes a collection of issues that are "done" and puts a fix version on them.  The issues then disappear from the board because a Kanban board does not need to show "delivered" items, and the definition of "delivered" in Jira's Kanban implementation is "has a fix version set".

The other factor you need to know is that in Kanban, the last column is "done", meaning "no more attention needs paying to this issue" (by the team using this board).  Cards in any other column are not "done", irrespective of their status or resolution, Kanban sees them as non done.

The answer for clearing out your not-done issues is that you should not, because they're not done.  Done can easily encompass won't-do or rejected issues though (because in both cases, you've looked at them and said "they need no more attention from us", which is "done").  So, I would simply map your "rejected" status into the "done" column, so rejected issues get cleared out with the others where you did more work to get them done.

Like Rouvi likes this
Rouvi June 13, 2021

thanks, good try. 

I mapped rejected into the "done" column but it's still only possible to clear the others.try.png

Suggest an answer