Is there a way to allow users with restricted access to Jira, have limited access to spaces?

Puja_Gohil January 7, 2020

Hi there,

We have about 140+ employees, we also have about 200+ more external contractors that use our Jira. We have somewhat limited position for these external contractors e.g. only accessing their own project, inability to create tasks etc. Is there a way to be able to grant them access to certain spaces on Confluence? If I add them to the 'confluence-users' group, it will give them access to all of our company's default spaces, which we don't want; only to grant to certain ones. I figured one workaround, which is if I change 'confluence-users' permissions to base it on limited restrictions to our external contractors; this would mean every employee would have to be manually granted permissions to every single default company space; which is hugely cumbersome.

Is there an easier way to do this or something for consideration for the future?

Thanks

1 answer

2 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

Hello @Puja_Gohil 

One way you can achieve this is by creating a new group in confluence and all the external contractors there(isolate them from default group), then provide them appropriate Global Permissions to that group. After this go to respective spaces where they need to have access, add that group in those spaces and provide the necessary space permissions.  And revoke their access where they are not needed.

Other option would be to make use of Page Restrictions option for your company spaces and providing the access to view/edit.

Regards,

Vishwas

Puja_Gohil January 9, 2020

Thanks for this. I tried this out, this could work for a number of contractors that would need access to the same spaces. But because we have so many contractors who will need access to certain/different ones - it would be ideal if we could assign contractors to spaces individually as and when we need to. Making a group for individual contractors each time would be cumbersome. The functionality on jira is we can create private permission schemes, and then from the project settings, allow individuals access to their own project - would be ideal if there was something similar for Confluence too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events