Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way of sorting a table in edit mode in Confluence?

Andrew Hood July 12, 2018

I need to be able to sort tables in edit mode so that for large tables I can do reconciliation tasks. Anyone know if this is possible and how?

2 answers

13 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2018

Hi Andrew,

Yes, it is possible in Confluence Server: you need to wrap the table with Table Filter macro. Then the table can be sorted in the editor using Ctrl+Click.

Deb October 3, 2018

What is the option for Confluence Cloud? I have the Table Filter macro but this functionality is not available in Cloud yet. Preferably, would want to edit the filtered table in view mode but that option is also not available for Cloud.

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

Table Filter macro is available in Confluence Cloud, but it is not integrated with page editor, so there is no way to sort and filter table in edit mode.

Deb October 4, 2018

Any plans to add it to Cloud soon?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2018

Unfortunately, there are no technical possibilities to implement this feature in Cloud environment: it is just impossible to integrate with the editor there.

Deb October 4, 2018

Sorry to hear that!! :(

Thanks so much for your quick responses!

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2018

You are welcome, Debora! I'll reply here if something changes in the future.

Like Oz Edri likes this
Don Hamp August 5, 2019

From above it sounds like not possible to filter a table while in Edit mode.   At Merck we have confluence internal  (Not cloud?)  (I believe)  Since we call confluence as:  https://share.merck.com/Display

Is there way to configure filter so it displays in Edit mode?    This is key benefit over using Excel when (even) a medium # of rows need maintenance.   Filtering and editing go hand in hand for most use cases. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2019

Yes, it is possible to filter and sort tables in edit mode (documentation). 

Like # people like this
George Parsons August 25, 2020

Andrew,

So there is no way to achieve this functionality in the Cloud instance?  I have a very large table and want to sort it during editing.  I thought that your macro would achieve the functionality, however not in the Cloud.

Like dalia likes this
George Parsons August 25, 2020

Andrew,

I am trialing your macro and can't get it to sort columns in Edit mode.  I wrap a table with Table Filter, then in Edit 'Table Filter' Macro menu I can sort any column, however when I save out of the Edit 'Table Filter' Macro menu the table reverts back to the unsorted state.  Any ideas?

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2020

George,

Is the table sorted in the page view mode in this case? Sorting doesn't apply to tables in the page edit mode in Confluence Cloud.

David K March 22, 2021

Not sure if this is your case. I wanted to have a table be sorted in Edit mode too after data was entered w/o any sorting. 

• Sort the table in View mode;
  • Select, copy the whole table;
  • Switch to Edit Mode;
  • Paste the table as a new one;
  • Removed the unsorted table;
Like # people like this
Wei Tang August 30, 2021

Good and free solution!

ecoea June 24, 2022

Filter in edit mode is a much needed use case.  Imagine having a big table and you only need to edit one or a set of rows with some common attributes somewhere in the table, without the ability to filter during editing, it is necessary to

• Keep scrolling and scrolling until you find the row to edit!
  • If the rows in the targeted edit set are scattered in different spots on the table, it becomes a nightmare.

My work around, for now, is always adding a numbered column to the table.  Remembering the row number(s) you attempt to edit makes it a bit better in hunting for the row(s) in edit mode.

Like # people like this
Robert.Lopinto November 15, 2023

It's insane that this is not possible in Confluence Cloud.  Before migrating from Confluence Data Center to Cloud we used this feature all the time.  Tables can get huge and the inability to filter so that one can update only specific rows is the most common use case on the planet. How on Earth did this get deprecated? The Confluence Product Managers should be enraged!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2022

Hi there,

As this Community thread concerns our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app, we are happy to introduce its new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view&edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

Ron Beernink July 6, 2022

A shame that Atlassian do not have this basic functionality to sort and filter tables as part of their Confluence product.  But good to see your solution.  Just confirming though that this macro is in fact theTable Filter and Charts for Confluence app that can be licensed from Stillsoft through the Atlassian market place?

Like # people like this
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2022

Yes, this macro is provided by the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app (that is our add-on).

The app is a paid one but it's free for Cloud 1-10 users.

If you already have the add-on and are on Server/Data Center but don't see the Table Spreadsheet macro, then ask your Confluence administrator to update the app. The macro was released in January and we still continue to add more and more features to it.

David Lange October 31, 2023

How do we get Atlassian to make this work in the cloud

Like Sari Kachorovsky likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events