Is it possible to define the width of a table in Confluence?

patwarnr September 19, 2019

I've searched through documentation and can only find info about resizing columns individually, which in effect, allows you to resize the table, but I need to be able to know how wide it actually is, e.g., like you can in Word with 'table properties'. The problem I am trying to solve is that I need the tables to be a fixed width of no more than 7 1/2" so that when I copy and paste it into MS Word, I don't have to adjust the table properties of every table. This is a long multi-page report output with probably at least a dozen of these tables. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2019

Not really, Remember that Confluence is designed to be viewed in a broswer window that can be dynamically resized, so the take column widths are designed to automatically adjust to the size of the window. In addition, when in a browser, users can dynamically increase/decrease font sizes, which can affect the width of the table.

Finally, the whole concept of "inches" is not relevant to web viewed content, since the physical width will depend on your monitor. As opposed to printed documents on a page, which conform to standard page width.

There is an option to make the table "Responsive" vs "Fixed width" which may give you some more control. When you click on the table in the editor, and the table menu bar appears, it is a drop down on the left side. That will give you a little more control of the table appearance in relation to other tables on the page, so with some experimentation, you can find a fixed width that works when you print it out, and drag all tables to that width.

Copying and pasting to word is a whole different ball of wax. Doubt you will ever get to do what you want.

One question is why are you copying to word? Why not generate the report completely in confluence, and then export the page in PDF or Word format?

patwarnr September 25, 2019

We do generate the report completely in Confluence. We had challenges in the past with the export function, and I had not tried it in a while. I've just tested it again and this looks like the best viable option. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events