Is it possible, to create link to undefined page, with do-not-create-page-if-not-exist possibility?

Péter Ipacs March 7, 2017

I'd like to create multiple links to pages - automatically (CLI).

Some links points to existing pages, others to undefined pages.

I dont want to have the "create new page" possibility, if a user click to undefined link. Do nothing. :)

In my special case, the non-existent pages should be created ONLY by space admins (whether manually or by automated process), because these pages have special content, special structure, which is not known by regular user.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance, Péter

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2017

Confluence has no way of knowing whether a link to a non-existent page should or should not go to "create this page".  That's deliberate though - the whole point of the behaviour of the place-holders is to encourage people to create missing pages.

Péter Ipacs March 7, 2017

Thanks for Your quick reply.

In most cases, the "normal" behavior is the best, and expected. But in my special case, the non-existent pages should be created ONLY by space admins (whether manually or by automated process), because these pages have special content, special structure, which is not known by regular user.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2017

There's no way to stop people creating pages.  They either have create/edit in the space or they don't.

You should really have templates for these special pages, so the users don't make a mess of them, rather than dedicated groups of people to create them.  Or, use blueprints and templates to create them in the right shape instead of relying on place-holder links.

0 votes
Macurion November 17, 2020

Ability to manully add Links to non-existing pages was added in 2020:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Link-to-undefined-placeholder-pages/ba-p/1412785

0 votes
Péter Ipacs March 9, 2017

Thanks, Nic & Milo!

I don't want to disable page creations for users. I know the templates/blueprint possibility.

But these pages have huge lists, which only could be prepared by admins, and cannot be used the templates.

During the automatic page preparation process, I cannot determine if all linked pages exist or not.

Workaround solution: copy structure to a separated sapce, so I can change space permission for "normal" users - view only, and when they click on non-existent link, nothing happens.

Exactly what I want! smile

Just I thought, that it is possible with macro also, not only with space restriction

Thanks. Péter

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2017

If all you want to do is keep the honest people honest, You could simply hyperlink the text to the page they are on: clicking the link would appear to do nothing. You would probably have to add a bit of CSS to get the links to be red.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events